Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt recommended suspension set up

Perkies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Hey all, know this has probably been asked a few times but thought I’d try get a few new opinions

Recently lowered my Vt sedan (IRS) sl fronts and ssl rears king spring all round. It rides fairy well but still stiff compared to some of the other lower cars I’ve been in. The shocks are worn and need new ones.

My question is, what spring/shock combos will allow me to have a low and comfortable ride, and what brand of springs would be best? I need new struts so wanting to search around before I buy the first one I see. I don’t really need it to stick to the ground as I just want a comfortable cruiser

Also side note- My girlfriend has a lowered vs wagon not 100% on spring sizes but know their king springs with gt Munroe lowered struts and can feel every bump and it’s not good on her back, can i make that softer for cheap or a lost cause?

We both have standard berlina wheels
Thanks in advance

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you lower your car yourself?
If you know how I suggest pulling one of the ear shocks out of the VS and feeling it to see if it's worn out. If it's still firm then she is better off putting taller springs back in.
This will also tell you if you should consider Monroes in your car or not.
I would use KYB or better, as I've never been a fan of Monroe

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Don't disregard the influence the tyre has on ride quality, a 60 series tyre is a good size for a cruiser (ie 235/60/16), I would invest it the best shocks that you can afford. Koni adjustable or Bilstein are very good IMO.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Have just started going through this on my v2 monaro.
Have owned it for 8.5 years , not long after I bought got pedders lower springs. Everything is fe2 except the lower springs. I thought it was very comfortable but handled great.
I'm in the process of doing my front bushes, found out that struts were worn out.
Have gone with adjustable konis (ordered them yesterday, so am a little way off reporting what they're like) the suspension guy said on their softest setting they'd be slightly stiffer but more compliant than some shocks .
Kyb also do adjustable front struts but they're only 50 bucks cheaper, konis are rebuildable and more user friendly to adjust.
Neither are really cheap you're paying well over double standard replacement strut prices. For a reasonable price and your after a nice comfortable ride that handles I'd suggest either kyb or monroe gt but ask 10 people what they think of each and you'll probably get a 50/50 score.
Have heard and I believe same that king springs are at the budget end of springs ( sometimes the saying you get want you pay for is relative ). More than happy with my pedders ones , others to consider are lovells.
With vs as greenacc said if shocks are good, better and maybe taller springs.
If you think your vs wagon is firm take a trip in my vs maloo, lowered on (I know king springs) and bilsteins all round but it is brilliant or the right roads.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hey all, know this has probably been asked a few times but thought I’d try get a few new opinions

Recently lowered my Vt sedan (IRS) sl fronts and ssl rears king spring all round. It rides fairy well but still stiff compared to some of the other lower cars I’ve been in. The shocks are worn and need new ones.

My question is, what spring/shock combos will allow me to have a low and comfortable ride, and what brand of springs would be best? I need new struts so wanting to search around before I buy the first one I see. I don’t really need it to stick to the ground as I just want a comfortable cruiser

Also side note- My girlfriend has a lowered vs wagon not 100% on spring sizes but know their king springs with gt Munroe lowered struts and can feel every bump and it’s not good on her back, can i make that softer for cheap or a lost cause?

We both have standard berlina wheels
Thanks in advance
It possibly has to do with the spring rate. I have driven on kings, seem to have a refex action meaning at the impacting point of a bumb it actions the car upward. I have driven on lovells ssl progressive rate and it gives you a sense of comfort until you reach the impacting point of a bump and it compresses to a point it feals like the spring bottoms out. Ssl spring comboes are only good for flat roads and appropriate cambered corners. Dont wast your money the roads arnt getting any better. Go for a fe2 settup. Pedders have a combo and so do builstein. Id go builstein for a aftermarket changeout.

D

devilly

side.JPG
with original springs and king springs they are very skinny springs.... pedders heavy duty are nearly twice the thickness of these.... pedders springs on mine then it saves the shockys and struts wearing out as quickly I have kyb front struts and Monroe gt sports rear shockys ... standard height on front and raised on rear :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It possibly has to do with the spring rate.
Go for a fe2 settup.

Pretty much this. Problem with aftermarket spring companies in Australia is they do a one size fits all approach for springs and don't offer selectable spring rates. Even the SL/SSL/SSSL they put on the spring isn't indicative of what they are as they have different effects on different models (you need to look at its application in the catalogue).

Don't underestimate the difference new shock absorbers will make OP, you may put them in and find it's better.

But yeah, pretty much for low(er) and soft you go for FE2 springs. Are the springs you put in HD springs? Should be in the part number. And wheel sizes?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Im on FE2 Lovell suspension and with 19in rims and using KYB Lower shocks on the rear and i think Monroe on the strut fronts.
I am gonna change the front to lowered Sachs. Apparently pretty good.

If you hadnt changed ya shocks to lowered type after changing springs then yeh expect a stiffer ride.
You need lowered shockers.

Sachs below
Apparently pretty ok for normal driving and such
Heard some recent issues with KYB for struts so turned off em a bit(this is after my rears installed)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SACHS-L...142964&hash=item4d2f8fea79:g:fEYAAOSwEeFVDNch

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Y you got vb sl
View attachment 198415 with original springs and king springs they are very skinny springs.... pedders heavy duty are nearly twice the thickness of these.... pedders springs on mine then it saves the shockys and struts wearing out as quickly I have kyb front struts and Monroe gt sports rear shockys ... standard height on front and raised on rear :)
Y you got vb sle rims on...
Im on FE2 Lovell suspension and with 19in rims and using KYB Lower shocks on the rear and i think Monroe on the strut fronts.
I am gonna change the front to lowered Sachs. Apparently pretty good.

If you hadnt changed ya shocks to lowered type after changing springs then yeh expect a stiffer ride.
You need lowered shockers.

Sachs below
Apparently pretty ok for normal driving and such
Heard some recent issues with KYB for struts so turned off em a bit(this is after my rears installed)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SACHS-L...142964&hash=item4d2f8fea79:g:fEYAAOSwEeFVDNch
fe2 is a design that incorporates specific rate spring, strut, certain size f/r sway bar. I herd even the tyre profile and vehicle weight is included into the factor. Once you change 1 thing it is no longer fe2 tuned suspension. Any change greatly affects the geometry of the car... Yes kyb are like a worn strut from new, they seem to rely on the spring rate to work. Never herd of the other you mentioned, hope it works for you. Youll just end up with a fe2 height suspension that is not in tune if you can understand what lm saying. Fe2 is all those components finely tuned for many thousand kms at lang lang proving ground buy holden engineers, before being put into production. Ok

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I agree with the Sachs idea. I've got Boge Turbo's ( Now called Sachs ) and been giving them a workout for 5 years and still like new!
That's standard height and original springs, but great value shocks.