Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT regas air con?

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
All in all you cant let it out into the atmosphere.
Its illegal.

I did mention that.

And you also need to apply for the buying of R134a
Yes, a licence is needed in this country, basically there are questionaires the purchaser has to fill out, however, there is no such qualification as "air conditioning mechanic" or similiar etc in this country which anyone has to have to be able to use r134a or work on aircon systems.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
The workshop manuals say that its normal for the A/C system to need periodic regassing,and it also says the system should be used once a week,even in winter, for 15 minutes so the A/C system seals etc dont dry out and leak.

Well that is true, however, the definition of periodic and what is regarded as an acceptable amount of leakage from joins and seals that is the troublesome bit. As I alluded to previously, rubber hoses are essential in the auto environment and they are porous to the refrigerants used. Ive had cars that havent needed regassing for 10 years +, so the amount that leaks unavoidably through the rubber hoses is quite small, its the amount that leaks through all the many seals and joins that is the problem. As before: if the car needs periodic gassing every 2 years or so, its got a leak, that could be fixed, if the leak is just from one point then it will show up( especially with dye etc), but if its tiny leaks from every seal and join then it will be near undetectable.

Legislators know this and I doubt whether it will be too long before r134a is outlawed too. Ironically co2 is probably one of the best alternatives refrigerants(but isnt as energy efficient) that is being considered.

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 S-pack Auto 3.8
to lufkin, all cars can vary on how cold they are like if a car has a few KM on it, the condenser at the front has probly got bent fins down the bottem therefore making a smaller surface in which air can pass thru.

D-Batter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Series 2
You can get regasses cheaper than 120, well down at sydney at least but id think that it would be the same up there. Ive gotten cheap as $65 for JUST the regas, but the leak check and fluro dye etc. add up to around 100-120 and sometimes more. Cheapest places would be any mechanics garage, just do some digging around.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
$100 if you look around i know of a place over here in the s/e who does the full service for $100 not sure of prices in the west
Hi guys,

Just wondering where i can find some cheap, good re gassing joints for my VT. Im in the western suburbs, sunshine. so something close by would be great. Also how much should i be roughly spending on this?

Thanks

neephius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M A4
Its illegal to regas these days. You have to fix the problem then and there. You cant just go around with a leak in your system. (atmosphere, O-zone damage)

( It depends on the gas. newer gasses don't deplete the Ozone and restrictions are not as high. R-12, CFC-12, or its brand name Freon.

probably still ozone depleting but we know global warming is a crock.

d.k.vmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS
There are gasses you dont need a lic for, We use it at work. Only thing is you use alot less of it and you need to use a diffrent oil to stop it from killing the compresser.

We charge $199 to do a nitrogen pressure test then regas.

Never just fill a system up with fresh gas there is normally a reason why the old gass got out.

Mattyscott

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 spac 5spd
You need to change your receiver drier every time you get it serviced or every 2 -3 years.
It filters out moisture. If there is moisture in the system and the receiver drier is old and not working properly then this will result in bad cooling.

Can I buy a receiver drier and replace it myself?