Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT regas air con?

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
Hi guys,

Just wondering where i can find some cheap, good re gassing joints for my VT. Im in the western suburbs, sunshine. so something close by would be great. Also how much should i be roughly spending on this?

Thanks

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
it cost me about $120 a couple years back, After talking the dude into just re-gassing it.. They will want to replace the condenser and other stuff too..

Why do you need to re-gas it is your compressor leaking..? (another common fault) if so your better of replacing the compressor with a new one.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Its illegal to regas these days. You have to fix the problem then and there. You cant just go around with a leak in your system. (atmosphere, O-zone damage)

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
does gas in your system ever just lose its cool so to speak, like in my car, i know it hasnt leaked out because it still gets cold, but mates who have had their systems regassed seem to be a hell of alot colder and quicker, and its still the original gas, so just wondering after 13 years, do they lose their cool? without actually leaking

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
how do i check if its leaking :S all i know is that cold air doesnt come out

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You need to change your receiver drier every time you get it serviced or every 2 -3 years.
It filters out moisture. If there is moisture in the system and the receiver drier is old and not working properly then this will result in bad cooling.

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Its illegal to regas these days. You have to fix the problem then and there. You cant just go around with a leak in your system. (atmosphere, O-zone damage)

The use of r12 in new vehicles, the ozone thinning gas was outlawed in Australia in 1994, VTs use r134a, which while being ozone friendly is not human or greenhouse friendly, it is about 1000 times more potent than co2 in IR redirection, though as far as I know its only the toxic effect on humans which make releasing it into the environment illegal.

Repairers should recover any r134a in the system and not regas systems that are leaking. However, the definition of leaking is the troublesome one, the systems are never completely leak proof with rubber hoses and many joins. If a system only loses its charge after 2 years or so, then it is more economical to recharge, rather than replace compressors etc, just have to hope that the repairer cant identify any leak at the time.

Does the refrigerant go off, no, just like in your fridge at home, it will work well forever if it doesnt lose any refrigerant.
Shop around for a good price, the price for recharges is high considering the $ value of the gas that goes in there is less than $15. There is only a small amount of labor, there is investment in the equipment, but $1000 is about all they need to setup for a good vac pump and set of gauges. The one issue that restricts profitability is that to properly evacuate the system, it should be on the vac pump for at least half an hour.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
how do i check if its leaking :S all i know is that cold air doesnt come out

If a flouresent dye is put into the system, it will show up under an ultra violet light, pin pointing the leak position.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
The use of r12 in new vehicles, the ozone thinning gas was outlawed in Australia in 1994, VTs use r134a, which while being ozone friendly is not human or greenhouse friendly, it is about 1000 times more potent than co2 in IR redirection, though as far as I know its only the toxic effect on humans which make releasing it into the environment illegal.

Repairers should recover any r134a in the system and not regas systems that are leaking. However, the definition of leaking is the troublesome one, the systems are never completely leak proof with rubber hoses and many joins. If a system only loses its charge after 2 years or so, then it is more economical to recharge, rather than replace compressors etc, just have to hope that the repairer cant identify any leak at the time.

Does the refrigerant go off, no, just like in your fridge at home, it will work well forever if it doesnt lose any refrigerant.
Shop around for a good price, the price for recharges is high considering the $ value of the gas that goes in there is less than $15. There is only a small amount of labor, there is investment in the equipment, but $1000 is about all they need to setup for a good vac pump and set of gauges. The one issue that restricts profitability is that to properly evacuate the system, it should be on the vac pump for at least half an hour.

All in all you cant let it out into the atmosphere.
Its illegal.
And you also need to apply for the buying of R134a. The longer you put the system under vacuum the better so the system will be true.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The workshop manuals say that its normal for the A/C system to need periodic regassing,and it also says the system should be used once a week,even in winter, for 15 minutes so the A/C system seals etc dont dry out and leak.