Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - Replacing the Handbrake Cable

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
The other week I had to replace my original factory fitted cable after 18 years. Doing a bit of research I see mixed posts about replacing it so here are some Q&A for a 1999 VT Equip.

1. Yes you need to remove the console. Why? - the handbrake cable runs in a metal tube with a flange, the flange is held by two screws into the transmission hump under the console, you simply cannot get access to the screws nor remove the tube/assemble with the console in place.

2. Do you need to remove the drivers seat - NO not on my VT, there is enough room with the seat either back to unbolt the handbrake assembly and forwards to access the two screws holding the flange down. To remove the bottom screw, you may need to put a tiny hole in the floor carpet, and have some long nose pliers handy to catch it when it nearly unscrewed.

3. Once you manipulate the old handbrake out, push the assemble into the hole in the hump from inside, then get under the car, thread the cable over the bearing assembly and connect it up the the two cables under the car, from then on manipulating the cable and seating it are all done from inside the car. Its a bastard of an exercise so take your time and limit the swear words...

4. Once you have the cable in place, attach it the the handbrake and mount the handbrake assembly to the hump then adjust the cable as per the manual.. (not to tight).

How not to break everything - the console is easy to remove but the old plastic becomes brittle over time so expect the plastic tangs to break on a few things.

Air Bag controller - its under the console at the back.... be careful!

VT Vanders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L 304
this was handy as. but you forgot to mention the super easy bolt that's under the car but above the drive shaft that's above 2 exhaust pipes. that was a 40 minute bolt lol..... not a fun job, thumbs up for the post though