Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt running rough can smell petrol

2010patrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8
Hi guys

My 1998 VT executive started running weird tonight. It runs rough when I accelerate and makes a weird noise (as if it has a hole in the exhaust) and as I drove up my driveway it started shaking and idling really rough. I got out and there was a very strong smell of petrol. I could not see anything wrong under the hood from a quick glance. Any ideas? I know the fuel filter needs replacing could this be why it has suddenly started running crap?

Cheers

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
could well be check also the fuel lines if the filter totally blocks up then the pump pressure could rupture a rubber connecting line

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Collapsed cat converter maybe. Get under the car and give it a bang with your hand and see if it rattles.

2010patrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8
Thanks guys, i'm getting my fuel filter replaced next week. If that does not stop to problems i'm starting to wonder it might be the coil packs.

Weatherman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS S2
Running very rough with associated exhaust leak type noise fuel smell - Broken valve spring maybe. That's probably worst case.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
unlikely to be the fuel filter. get under the bonnet and have a decent look ffs.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Stuffed ignition lead? May backfire slightly if so. Has check engine warning light come up on dash? Check for codes anyway may happen while yr not looking.

ballbaggins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Mine recently developed a severe fuel leak after a month of fuel smell up hills n such turns out it was a slow leak from the hose off the fuel pressure regulator that let go after it's last service and sprayed fuel down the back of the motor reversing off the hoist. Could have been bad....