Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT S Problems starting when i put fuel in...?

Swiftee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
It only seems to be when i put fuel in her....i will go to start and 1 of 2 things happen.

1. Nothing, no starter motor or any noise, key turns and nothing.
2. It rev's up & dies 1 sec later....

this can happen in any combo of problems 1,2 sometimes it takes 5 mins to move away from the pump @ the servo.....

The car has been only filled up to about 1/4 1/2 tank latley & run untill the DTE says 0..... i am going to stop this right now never less then 1/4 tank hopefully this will help. but would this be the problem? stress on the fuel pump?

any advice would be great
thanks pplz

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
No 1. sounds like an electrical problem - possibly can't read the code from the key?

No 2. What kind of noise does it make when it dies?

I've run out of fuel a few times now, due to a faulty guage (says 1/4 full etc). When attempting to start it up, it almost sounds like a lawn mower - it starts, but a split second later it starts chugging, the chugging gets louder and rougher and the engine dies a second later.

If it's doing that, it's probably the fuel pump or filter. You've probably got sludge in the system, blocking up the pipes.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
On an odd chance... it could be the immobiliser? Try a spare key next time it happens and see what happens. Either that or try pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote key head and try starting again.

If the current key is faulty, the immobiliser won't permit the engine to start but still allows you to crank the engine.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
myberlina said:
On an odd chance... it could be the immobiliser? Try a spare key next time it happens and see what happens. Either that or try pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote key head and try starting again.

If the current key is faulty, the immobiliser won't permit the engine to start but still allows you to crank the engine.
its not necessarily a faulty key.
it can be the metal clips on the ignition barrel dont make proper contact with the key.

use the key to pull them out a bit more or get the contacts on the back of the ignition barrel checked.

i dont think its to do with filling up but more to do with the immobiliser cutting in therefore the "pressing of unlock" fixes the problem.
to test leave the car unlocked at home in the garage for 5 or so minutes till the immobiliser automatically activates again (red light starts flashing). then start the car up without pressing any of the buttons on the keyhead.
if the car starts i am wrong..if it doesnt then its to do with the key and the immobiliser