Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT - S Series Audio Setup

Inspyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT S
Hey guys im new to all of this, Just before i go out to buy things i want some of your opinion.

Ok to start off:

Speakers:
2x Sony XS-GTX1640 6-1/2" Full Range 4-Way Speakers - Pair

For all four doors Is this to much? as they have tweeters in each of the speakers.

Or is this fine?

Subwoofers:
2x Sony Xplod 12" 1300w XS-L123P5B

Amps:
I haven't got any in mind atm, but what would be good to power all of the equipment i listed above. Even if its 2 amps, 1 for the speakers 1 for the subwoofers.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
You'll need an amp for the subs, obviously. As for the speakers, up to you. Is there any reason you want to put splits in the rear doors aswell? Personally, I dont even have speakers in the rear doors (well I do, they're just turned off via headunit). I figure I don't sit in the back, and they don't make much difference being there anyway if I'm sitting in the front. If anything, just get normal speakers for the back I'd suggest, just for fill, and splits for the front. It's all personal preference really, and budget.
As for an amp, I don't know about there reliability, but why not stick with sony and get a sony amp?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Denno, those Sony speakers arent splits...as Inspyr wrote they are 4 way, and also wrote they have tweeters in each of the speakers.

I personally wouldnt bother with buying a set for the rear, the money youve saved ideally would go towards "split" system speakers, or component speakers. These have a seperate tweeter which you can mount in a number of spots (i.e. top/front of dash, A pillars) and makes the higher ranges of sound alot clearer. Just leave the rears as stock for now, when you get some extra cash just put a set of cheapish coaxials.

Maybe look (listen more importantly if possible) at a few other brands of splits, if you go to your nearest car audio shop, have a listen to as many splits as possible within your price range.....you should be able to find something that sounds good to you.

As for amp/s, if you still intend to run 2 12s, you will most likely need 2 amps....a monoblock for the sub and a 2ch to run the fronts. If you decide on just one sub, then a 4ch. amplifier will be ideal (front speakers run off the front outputs, sub off the rear outputs, bridged).

If you were going with the 2 subs and 2 amps, then you'll need a monoblock that puts out round 500-600wrms at 2 ohm. For the front speakers a 2ch. amplifier with around 80-100wrms at 4 ohm.

Might be abit too much info there, but if you have any questions just ask ;)

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Denno, those Sony speakers arent splits...as Inspyr wrote they are 4 way, and also wrote they have tweeters in each of the speakers.

Ah, my bad, should have read more carefully.