Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT series 1 & 2 differences? Including electricals/engine etc

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
What are the differences between series 1 and 2 VT? My brother is planning to get series 1 '98 Acclaim and he has written off series 2 sitting for parts. If there are better parts from series 2 such as ECM etc that would be worth swapping over?
Thanks
AP

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
VT Series 2 had lighter doors, I think with better side impact beams too, or that could've been VX. If you ask me, I think VT Series II tail lights and side indicators (both of which are clear on S2) look much better than the crappy orange Series I items, and they'll go straight on.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
VT Series 2 had lighter doors, I think with better side impact beams too, or that could've been VX. If you ask me, I think VT Series II tail lights and side indicators (both of which are clear on S2) look much better than the crappy orange Series I items, and they'll go straight on.

That was the VX, the biggest difference for the VTII was the V8 switched from the 5L to the LS1 (5.7)

The big news with the VT Series II is the introduction of the Chevrolet Generation III LS1 5.7L V8, producing 220kW and 446Nm. This replaces the Holden 5.0L V8. A six-speed manual gearbox replaces the five-speed with the V8. The VT II Calais has a new instrument panel, and now features the Supercharged V6 engine as standard. All models now offer the added security of remote central deadlocking (formerly required the key to be turned in the door lock) now easily activated by pressing the Priority Key twice. Turn signal indicators illuminate for 3 seconds to indicate that the car is in a deadlocked state. An electric boot release disable function is now standard, when the Priority Key is used to lock or deadlock, the in-car boot release button is automatically disabled. A battery saver function is a further upgrade to the Series II Commodore's body control module, when the ignition is off, any interior lights left on, including the boot light, will automatically shut down after 60 minutes of inactivity to prevent battery drain. Traction control can now be specified with the V8 as well as the V6 auto powertrain combinations. Cruise control is now available as an option on all models equipped with manual transmission. Exterior styling cues that differentiate the Series II Commodore and identify particular models include revised grille treatments in matt silver and chrome; all-new wheel covers and alloy wheels; clear side and rear indicator lenses; chrome window surrounds; bodyside mouldings and Series II badging. The Calais is further identified by a slim chrome bar on the rear decor panel.

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
all the rubbers on the series 2 are better... the doors are lighter as well so id be swapping all that over

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Are the ECM same or better or worse?
Cheers
AP

Do you mean the BCM? If so I presume it's updated to allow the features like remote deadlocking. Not sure if they are plug and play though, or if you'd need to swap the whole loom.

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Do you mean the BCM? If so I presume it's updated to allow the features like remote deadlocking. Not sure if they are plug and play though, or if you'd need to swap the whole loom.

I meant Engine Control Module/ known as Engine Computer.. so they're different?
Cheers
AP

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
There's the powertrain control module (PCM) and the body control module (BCM). Sounds like you're talking about the PCM.

I don't think there are any changes to the PCM from S1 to S2, but then I'm no expert. Dr. Bob is probably the best to ask about that.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Diff's are diff? I have been looking for diff gears for mine and there a guy on ebay that sells heaps but only up to Ser1 Vt I asked if they fit Vx but he said no. ? Whats diff there?