Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt series 1 or 2 steering???

Justbadger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6
I have my vt calais 99 I believe is series 2 has it on rear garnish.. had the steering get really heavy even to the point of not having any power steer when started... turn off n restart it would be back... replaced pump that stopped happening.. then had it get heavy on the daily so I took it out n didn't realise it had wires.. n I broke one like flush with the unit I've tried soldering it because I had it recoed n it seemed OK but.. long story short why can't I fine a brand new assisted power steering racks...

H

harrop.senator

Probably a year only rack as the series 2 onwards it same up to vy. And VR and vs are different. He's a remanufactured series 1 and a brand new series 2+
Screenshot_2021-08-14-07-14-08-17_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-14-07-13-31-91_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Justbadger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6
I had the variotronic rack recod n a new pump with open outlet type but one of the wires on the solenoid was broken so far down I don't think soldering it done the job.. if reving under 850 it squeals when turning at stand still u notice but a Lil rev in car spot u can straighten wheels.. I have second hand wagon out back I am gunna put Lil outlet back in my pump.. change to standard rack n lines to suit.. one more question why is the bottom pipe off the rack is return on my variable but after the swap the lines will be reversed.. is that right

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Youll need to use the standard type return hardline. They're a different shape at the rack end. Need to unbolt from k frame to swap over. I fitted the whole k frame from a wh to a vy and had to change racks and lines back to the non variable for it all to work.

Justbadger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6
Ok so a question for more experienced guys.. I've had the variable rack recoed cost me 350.. I have swapped over the whole top stalk housing.. from the standard and slipped it onto the variable reconditioned noticing the gaps in the tower are differently gapped but it bolts down and the 2 lines on the body itself interchange perfectly also... it that going to run like a non variable or are the internals different... I have the entire wreck with a standard but the tie rod end thread is different n I'd rather try keeping the rebuilt rack if it will run..

Justbadger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6
Ok to cap off. I've removed variable speed wired rack,lines to pump and return.. open flow fitting off back of pump... replaced with standard commodore rack, lines and droop fitting on pump.. seems smooth, slightly heavier at stand still.. but test in morning after ALL BUBBLES are out will report back... ended up just swapping new tie rod with boot and end... left for left right for right n even the steering stalk is the same I thought it might of been messed up.. shorter or longer but I think.if u have the calais one original it suits

Justbadger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6
But have a reco variable with messed up wires looking to get it back as my right shoulder is fooked