Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Series 1 V6 to V8 Upgrade

DarkLanDeamon

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Falcon (wanting VT Wagon)
I know most say just buy a v8 model but my dad has just done it all up but wants to find out what involved in converting the Ecotec V6 and swapping it with a V8?

Any linkage or any info would be good couldn't find anything.

James_yo7

Barbitaboopey?
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 LUX minitruck
you will find that more needs to be replaced then you think. and you would spend months fixing glitches.
i wouldnt even know where to begin listing what is involved.

xrsist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
i wouldnt waste my time with a vt
you will need a complete engine, exhaust, box, loom and computer just to start, having a donor car makes it easier as you have everything you need but if you dont have one its easier and probably almost cheaper to buy a v8 model

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
yeah if you can get a cheap crashed V8 donor car, that'd be the way to go. (as long as the K-frame is not bent) still probably cost as much as selling and getting a V8 instead though.

you'd need K-frame, engine & trans mounts, V8 engine, V8 transmission, (possibly tailshaft), ECU, tacho modification possibly?? V8 springs/shocks for the extra weight, and thats only the start. I'm sure theres a hundred other little things i can't even think of.

its not worth swapping a V6 ecotec for a 5 litre V8. it'd only go slightly quicker. You could easily make a V6 go as hard as a V8 with bolt on mods such as roller rockers, extractors, exhaust and cold air intake. much cheaper and much easier.

if you're still really keen, it would only be worth doing if you were putting in a gen3. but even then, theres probably even more involved, and still probably cheaper to sell and buy an original V8.

hope that helps,

cheers,
James

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
this has been covered many times on here, the usual outcome is that it is cheaper and easier to sell the v6 and buy a factory v8