Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt series 1 v8 cam and lifters damaged ?

trixjnr

OZZIE RACER
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 308, vt ss
hey guys bought a vt ss 160,000kms 5,000 week ago got a noise a day ago like a ticking noise im a diesel mech and airplane techo. so not great with petrol , thought it was lifters being lazy did the engine flush new oil nulon lifter eze , and caboom! noise become loud so shut off pulled off rockers and inlet manifold retainer plate tangs broke (x 3) roller lifter x1 roller snapped and then took cam out it marked but no lobe missing,

question

where do i find a reatiner plate or should i weld tangs back on
what lifters do people recommend and price about?
should i just regrind cam or get a new one

hopefully someone can help.

trixjnr

OZZIE RACER
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 308, vt ss
Cam

Can cam places regrind original cams to get a better profile if damage is not t bad Camtech is just down road that's all

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
1. Wrecking yard
2. Comp Cams lifters are supposedly pretty good
3. I would definitely go new camshaft

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I beleive the V6 lifters are the same part (different part number and cheaper but the same part) the plate those are rare as so you might have to repair that

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I thought the 5L lifters were the same but the LS1s used a different part. VT SS could be either engine.

trixjnr

OZZIE RACER
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 308, vt ss
camtech

i just cam tech they said i can regrind the cam 275
and gave price for johnson lifters 265
said i had to get new pushrods as the grind takes .25 off base circle want 270 for new pushrods

does this sound right thought?
i might ring wade camshafts as they where what dad had in in his racecar when he started HQ racing in australia

the retainer plate is a problem i saw one on a website for 600 i wonder if u can weld spring steel and put lugs back on

two questions , how do u check preload on lifter pushrod assembly and i took dizzy out when i removed the cam but did not mark it is it easy to put back in right spot

i took out the cam by using GREENFOAMS GUIDE good work big guy just had trouble undoing balancer bolt

thanks for ur replys as im flying blind on petrol engines.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What are the specs on this "275" cam.

I don't know who Johnson's brand are but you can normally pick up a set of lifters in near any brand for about $300. See if you can get Comp Cam lifters, supposed to be a damn good brand.

The cam will generally have a 0.025" smaller base circle, this can usually be picked up by the lifters.

Can't help you with dizzy, but here is an article on checking preload.

CraneCams

EDIT: Oh and I just bought new rods for my V6, generally found to be $15 each here is Oz, of about $6 each from USA, for same item. So if you got a bit over a week to spare for postage then it will work out considerably cheaper. Or I paid $85 for express international postage because I needed them straight away. But you can't measure the pushrods until you have installed new lifters and cam. If you have managed to kill a lifter and camshaft then likely you have damaged/bent a pushrod or two as well.

trixjnr

OZZIE RACER
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 308, vt ss
cam

they said they where going to regrind my original camshaft just above standard grind it will cost 275 to do it

pushrods look ok but dude at camtech said if he regrinds cam it will take .25 off base circle so will need bigger pushrods true/false?

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
they said they where going to regrind my original camshaft just above standard grind it will cost 275 to do it

pushrods look ok but dude at camtech said if he regrinds cam it will take .25 off base circle so will need bigger pushrods true/false?

.25" is a hell of a lot of grinding. If its too just about standard I'm sure he meant 0.025" but by all means just ring/see him and find out. If its just 0.025" then you should be able to get away with standard pushrods and just torque the lifters down just a little bit more. But to do it properly you will need to fit the cam and lifters and measure the preload. I wouldn't buy the rods yet, fit everything else and then find out. If it turns out you don't need them then sweet you saved some cash, if you do need them then your no worse of then before.

Just make sure your current pushrods are perfectly straight, they are under a lot of stress when you rev the car and a tiny bend will ensure you have to pull the engine apart again and replace more broken stuff.

trixjnr

OZZIE RACER
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 308, vt ss
thanks

thanks guys for advice the retaining plate is the issue found one on ebay $250 but bidding had closed cam i will get re ground and get some lifters and then see if i need pushrods
if i go for a new cam what is a good slightly above standard cam

wade
camtech
????