Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT series 1 V8 Hot start issues

DOB81

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Senator VT
Hi there.
Car fine when cold. When hot it's like the battery is flat, it can hardly turn over? Car is Aussie strocker (220i). It's standard. Battery is a bit on the old side but seems odd that it starts fine when cold.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Pretty typical of them, the starters get heat soak and dont work properly in short, all the windings inside get higher resistances etc and they cant crank properly is the most common problem.

I believe there is a high torque aftermarket version out there, a new bosch one with better heat shielding will also fix the problem.

DOB81

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Senator VT
Thanks for the reply mate..... Ill probably save up and do what you have recommended as well as the battery and thicker gauge wiring to the starter all in one go....... Cheers.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Check you cca of battery, had same issue with my VT 5L (195kw) and turned out the battery was only a 450 cca, upgraded to a 680cca and no more starting problems. My starter actually did pack it in and wasn't starting at all, replaced that with a genuine Bosch and still had the hot starting problem, that's when discovered it was the cca of the battery not doing the job properly