Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT series 2 V6 stalling when hot and thermo fans not working properly.

russokeefe1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive series 2 wagon
When idling or driving slowly in traffic, once engine warms up and temp gets to half way between a quarter and a half, the car will stall. It struggles for a second or two before stalling and wont start straight away. I thought it was the crank angle sensor so I replaced that but problem kept happening. I then replaced coils and DFI but it keeps stalling. I only just realised that the thermo fans are not working properly either. As engine warms up the low speed fan comes on and 30 seconds later the high speed fan tries to come on but as soon as it starts to turn both fans stop. I have unplugged the coolant temp sensor and the low speed fan comes on 6 seconds after starting engine and high speed comes on 12 seconds after starting. Will replacing the coolant temp sensor make the fans work properly or could something else be causing that issue? Also what would cause the stalling? Could the new CAS have been fried by the fans not working? When driving at speed or on a cold day the car wont stall. It only happens when idling or driving slowly through traffic. I thought the issue may be caused by a dying fuel pump but it seems to be related to engine temp. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am ready to give up and swap the whole motor out.

russokeefe1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive series 2 wagon
I should add that the car is giving no error codes.

Willipede

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 S pac Ute
Try changing your coolant temp I've just done that on my vs v6 and my thermo's now come on because they didn't before. I'm not sure about the stalling part though.

It's an easy job, takes 10 minutes and costs about $25 - $30

D

devilly

QUOTE : As engine warms up the low speed fan comes on and 30 seconds later the high speed fan tries to come on but as soon as it starts to turn both fans stop.

check the high speed fan relay,cant remember which one i swapped it with, just make sure pins are the same configuration and the numbers match up.

have you changed the fuel filter ? injector cleaner in fuel tank.

QUOTE :When driving at speed or on a cold day the car wont stall

starting to think that something electrical is going on, as the fans might not be turning on when it's cold.

coolant temp sensor can be tested via ohms i think it is as it gets colder the ohms drop,or rise.

test you can do at home, is hold mode and up arrow start car,release buttons and then click mode until you get to temp when it hits 104 or 105 is when the fans switch on.

when you turn car off this goes away.you have to hold them again to get it back :)

easy job to change out the coolant temp sensor.