Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT sII stolen NRMA CLAIM PROBLEMS

ozdaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II Exe 5.7l M/6 Calais 17's F-extr 2/1/2
Hi guys,
I had my beloved VT 2 LS1 stolen on Saturday night
Ive spoken to the assessor since and he they valued it at 5.4k after I brought it 15 months ago for 8.5k as it was immaculate, then just got it back from sydney to canberra after spending 7k on new diff cam heads etc, I had my baby back 4 days, anyway the car was stolen out of my driveway on some time between 10pm sat and 9am sun, and the assessor is saying that as there is no visible damage to the ignition barrel there sending it on to a full investigation,
Can anyone knowledgeable tell me given that commodores being the NO.1 stolen car for a decade, every thief had a spare key, shorely those that do this sh*t know all the tricks, I need a comeback or im look to be out 15+k
Anyway I have been asked to come out to the panel beaters to remove all my goods out of the car as there investigation storage yard IS NOT (WTF) secure so Ill take some photos and post them when I do that, Any advice to deal with this would be appreciated
Surely all these dirtbag thieves that steal cars for what ever reason do it with out an original copy of the car key????
TBC as im thinking rather than have a claim refused i could try repairing it myself as ive got a berlina (silver) in the back yard same model i could use for parts so ill post some photos of damage when i get my stuff from panel beaters.
Daryl
VT S2 LS1 140000km

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
As far as i have seen, Insurance company's only pay out for the car standard, Any engine work ect does not add to there payout Unless you told them about the extras and payed the extra insurance amount...

My girlfriend just recently got some new wheel's on her car, She rang the insurance company and they said they will cover the wheel's but she had to spend extra every month.(just an example)

I sure don't believe the feral theving bastard's have copy's of the key's, so im not too sure how they got it running and steering without breaking the colum...Did you leave the key's in it?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
did you insure for market or agreed value?

Market value is that, stock market value no matter what you have done to it.

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
are you sure they didnt just take a spare bcm and key/ barrel with them? an old owner maybe? someone who stole the csar before?
guys used to steal cars with a steering wheel lock by taking steering wheels with them.
its not that hard to take a vt from what i know/gather and heard but not sure on the ls1 vts because of the extra security.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
are you sure they didnt just take a spare bcm and key/ barrel with them? an old owner maybe? someone who stole the csar before?
guys used to steal cars with a steering wheel lock by taking steering wheels with them.
its not that hard to take a vt from what i know/gather and heard but not sure on the ls1 vts because of the extra security.

You can only change the barrels in the column once you have turn the ignition to the "ON" position, if you've already got the car to the "ON" position then it kind of defeats the purpose!

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
sucks to hear some one else's pride and joy been taken by some scum!
i have herd of this happening before,if you played no part in theft you have nothing to worry about,the people who look over it know there stuff.
if it was only insured for markets value that's all you will get,though you will get it back cheaper and used parts/engine as you wanted.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Could be a past owner that still had a spare key to it.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Lol I still have keys to all my old 3 commodores.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.