Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Speaker Upgardes

Tis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII S
Hi Everyone,

I have a VTII S pac sedan and am looking at upgrading my sound system. I do not want to spend a lot of money and am just looking at my options at the moment. I have a pioneer 10" Sub boxed and an amp for the sub I had in my last car and have been looking at adding this to my car. I will not be replacing the head unit for a while so I am looking at using a high-low converter. The first question I have is does anyone know of a good place to run the power wire through the firewall? I have heard some people mention the clutch grommet but I have a manual so this will nor work for me.

After this I am looking at adding some new speakers to the front doors and possibly the backs at a later date. At the moment I have been looking at the Jaycar 6.5" precision response kevlar splits or the Jaycar 2-Way 6" Splits with 25mm Silk Dome Tweeter. Has anyone used these speakers and if so how good are they for the budget conscious? If I went for the 6.5" splits how hard is it to fit these in the doors? Also does the stock head unit have enough power to run these door speakers without adding an amp?

Thanks for any help.

goofball_9996

aint got **** to do
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s pack
my misses car has velocity 6' splits with cross overs and tweeters in the front and 6' 2 ways rockford foscate in the back doors
it sounds great of the standard deck but will sound sick when i fit a new deck

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
For the price you will pay for some Locs, you may as well get a $99 h/u that will sound so much better that some crap LOC, trust me..

There are heaps of places to run a power cable, just look. PLenty of spare grommets.

If you run those speakers of the h/u it will not sound good, you will be way under powering them which is a not a thing to do.

Get a $99 h/u, save yaself some hassles

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
EBay is the best place to find a system. i prefer to keep to anything factory. maestro setup with 6 inch subs n the parcel.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
sorry to hijack the thread, but would it be beneficial in putting crossovers on splits which are just running off a kenwood headunit?(50w x 4 channel) coz im planning to get some 50w rms splits, but dont wanna go overboard with an amp + expensive splits

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I put alpine splits on my headunit without an amp - massive improvement on the stock speakers, You should definately upgrade the front speakers - no need for an amp.

beefing up the low end is a different story however - amped 8" subs in the parcel shelf were the best thing I ever did.

Tis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII S
Hi,

Here is an update so far, last weekend I ran the power cable and installed a high-low converter to allow me to run my sub woofer off the stock head unit. As suggested the quality leaves a lot to be desired so I am looking at getting a better head unit. I have installed the high-low converter just behind the factory head unit so when I do get another head unit there will not be a lot of work to do.

Here is what I need help with next, what would people recommend for the head unit, I needs to play mps3 and have an auxiliary port for portable mp3 players. I would like it if the head unit supported FLAC as well but this is not a must.

Also I am still looking at adding the Jaycar 6.5" precision response kevlar splits in the front doors as these seem good for the money but I cannot get a firm answer on whether these would fit the standard door pods with a little cutting or if this is a major job. For the time being I can run these off the amp that runs my sub as I have a few channels spare and at a later date add an extra amp just for the front speakers.

I am willing to take suggestions on the front speakers, if anyone can suggest a good set of splits that will fit where the standard speakers are at around the same price point as the precision's then I will look into this. I will take some pictures of the install once I have worked out what to do.

Thanks

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
6.5" splits usually require the stock spacers to be cut slightly. A more elegant solution is to replace the stock spacers with mdf spacers which you can get at strathfield, jb hifi, etc. I used 2 of them screwed together to make a double thickness, to match the stock spacer thickness.

The Jaycar splits are supposed to be good value.

I have some Boston S60 speakers which cost around $280 when I got them a few years ago. Not sure how much they are now but are decent quality and easy to attach to the stock tweeter positions. They don't fit directly into the stock woofer spacers, but they are easily modified or you can do the solution I outlined above. Other decent brands are MB Quart, JL Audio has a good reputation in that range, Alpine gets mixed reviews.

Try to get a listen of the speakers before you buy as everyone's taste is different and its something you will potentially be living with until you sell the car.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Rather than worry about auxilliary input, I got a unit with USB input - I run an 8gig usb thumb drive which gives me plenty of variation. Also, 2gig thumbdrives are cheap and can provide alternate playlists should the mood suit = or if the missus is using the car she plugs her ipod shuffle in.

Bazzdogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S
ok im pretty sure the thread has paused so im going to take the gap. My '98 VTS is going on 11 years now and im wondering, do the stock speakers degrade over time and if so should i be looking to replace? i recently bought a pioneer Headdeck with a max power output of 50 w and a continuous output of 22 w. im not sure what this means but would i benefit more from replacing the speakers, buying an amp or both?