Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS 304 only firing on one bank

brewsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt HBD SS
Can someone pls help me , I have a 98 vt SS HBD 195i . The car ran fine but then was parked for a while (month or 2) once driven again it started to lose power and misfire badly , could put foot down and go almost nowhere . So cleaned fuel tank , replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors as well as plugs, leads, dizzy, ignition module, manifold inlet gasket and still no change. It's since been taken to a mechanic who clarified it has spark , pulse , fuel pressure so they inspected valve springs and found a couple were buggered and replaced them . All this has barely made any difference amd it's still only firing on drivers side bank and I'm lost now on what it could be , it's has spark fuel pressure and isn't throwing any codes pls pls someone help, could it be possibly the fuel rail ? I can't understand why it's only one side ???? HELP HELP HELP

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Could be an injector driver in the ECU? Check that the injectors are getting positive 12v with the ignition in the on position and that they're pulsing on the negative side.

brewsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt HBD SS
Yep that's been and injectors are all fully functioning fine
Could be an injector driver in the ECU? Check that the injectors are getting positive 12v with the ignition in the on position and that they're pulsing on the negative side.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Blocked cat on that bank?

brewsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt HBD SS
I've been thinking that or fuel rail because if it was electrical or spark issues you'd think it wouldn't just fire on one side . So in my opinion it must be something along those lines because it has to be something just on the one side other wise she'd be all over the place not just one bank . Fuel rail, exhaust any other ideas what could cause only one side ? Pls pls pls

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The fuel rail is basically 1 piece, fuel in 1 side, joined at the front then out the other side, would think it'd be an issue on all cylinders not just 1 bank.

brewsky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt HBD SS
It doing my head in as well as four mechanics and anyone else ? ARGHHHHHHHH !

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Are the plugs in the bank that's not firing dry or wet?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
is the ignition coil faulty maybe providing weak or intermittent spark?

I'd be leaning towards the timing being massively ####ed, who installed the dizzy and is it a shitty ebay brand like procomp or there other trading names, it sounds like the timing is way out or the dizzy is ####ed and while there may be fuel and spark they are not happening at the correct time for combustion.

Is the hall effect sensor on the dizzy connected properly?

Unless your o2 sensor on that side is ####ed and the ECU is being a dick about it for some reason dumping more fuel then the spark can ignite.