Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS 5.0Ltr knocking when clutch engaged + struggles to accelerate.

Ash71

Ash
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS XCOP
Hi Fellas, own a VT SS 5.0ltr manual 168K kms. car was off the road for several years due to an accident. I did start it every 3 months. Since then, fully repaired body and resprayed.. Completed full fluid changes, flushed coolant, oil, diff etc.... but she struggles with acceleration. In addition, there is a hard knock, like a thump every time clutch is semi engaged. There is also coolant leaking slightly from engine block. When I changed the spark plugs also a little oil on the old plugs. Do any of these seem like major repairs? Considering selling it as is or keeping her if the cost is at least less than $5k to fix everything and get Rwc. Any assistance would be appreciated. Hard enough as it is to even find a mechanic that has the time need to look at her for me. Last mechanic made me believe he filled me a full tank of juice. Though it was later found that the fuel pump was damaged during installation lol really hope to hear from anyone, someone please. Nonetheless, thanks for reading

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
May need to pull the gearbox and inspect the clutch, pressure plate, thrust bearing and fork

Factor all these parts into your budget

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Agree with Ginger Beer. Coolant leak doesn't sound serious. Either a hose or welsh plug. Probably look at getting injectors serviced or replaced. Also (and I always say this) pour a litre of Methylated Spirits into fuel tank to help eliminate any water in fuel lines especially if car has sat for months.. Check leads/ dizzy cap/rotor button. Look at replacing coil and ignition module(both are reasonably cheap.