Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss 5.7L will not start.

mbicknell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post, my first time.

Me and a mate have pulled the motor and box out of my vt ss 5.7L manual (rear main seal, and other things), everything has gone back in and is plugged up ready to go. However when putting the power steering rack in, I had to take steering lock off so I turned the key to accessories, once everything was done I forgot to turn it back and we connected the battery back up.

there was a spark and then that was it, the car wouldn't start, wouldn't even attempt to start. Have replaced a fuse that did blow and checked all relays (switched with working ones from a vx gts) and the car still wont start. I am thinking its either fried the starter motor or F@#Ked the battery somehow. if anyone could help that would be great

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have you checked the fusible links. They are big yellow ones in the relay/fuse compartment in the engine bay.
Also, which fuse did you relace?
Check Engine Control (PCM) fuse. Same location.
Check BCM fuse in the cabin.

mbicknell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Thanks for the reply, no not sure on the yellow ones. The PCM fuse in the engine bay was ok, it was the one in the cabin that had blown though that needed replacing, (bcm). I will check the fusible links in the morning though

redhot.

NA, Open Diff, Auto
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
If you can access the starter, bridge the signal wire and main battery wire (off course with the car in neutral) and see if it kicks over.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The fusible links are the first line of defence. All the other fuses run of these. If something major has happened, these are the ones that will blow first.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If I remember correctly, there is also a "wire fusible link" in line with one of the wires coming of the positive side of the battery.
It will look like an ordinary short piece of wire, usually a different colour, spliced into one of the + battery wires.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does Accessories work still?

Check basic stuff, terminals the wrong way round, make sure it's in park, make sure the battery is charged (even if you did see a spark).

mbicknell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Just want to thank everyone for their input and help. Thought I'd let you all know the problem
Is solved. It was a fried starter motor, it's all good and back on the road

redhot.

NA, Open Diff, Auto
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Good to hear mate