Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt SS 5L not starting

Kc686

Kane686
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg commodore ute
Hey guys,
Changed the water pump in my ss today, disconnected the battery before doing so.
Put it all back together and it started up first go then let it idle for about 10mins then went for a drive all was good then about 5minutes I noticed Nothinf on my dash was working, speedo, revs, fuel nothing all 0. Go to my place an shut it off an went an done what I had to, came back an it wouldn't start not even wind over so I roll started it an it was all sweet dash was working everything. Went to my new place and parked it then unloaded the car, went back an it wouldn't start again, not winding nothing so tried moving the terminals, changed the terminals, checked the starters earth an positive wire same as alternator all fine, changed battery an it started straight away first go.. Few starts an stops through the day an back to square 1 with no winding over with the new battery, changed relays and everything can't even get a kick out of the starter, tried imobiloser too an got nothing again..

Any ideas for me to try other then burn it lol

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It sounds like the alternator to me. Measure the volts at the battery with the engine running (if you can get it going) it should be around 14 to 14.4 volts. If you can't measure it get it to an auto electrician.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
you changed the battery to a new battery somewhere in in that post .... and no problem ... for a while

has the dash battery charge light indication been flicking on or staying on

lets talk about the battery and alternator .

if they check out .. then maybe about an immobilizer or key problem

terminals clean and tight

good earth strap and contact

what is that battery's resting and load reading ?

and alternator charge into battery same resting and load reading ?

thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm guessing the only thing you would have to do with the alternator when you remove the water pump is take all the fan belts off, may seem silly but is the alternator belt there?

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Isn't the wiring harness from the battery to the alternator just above the water pump.
I would check that harness.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As others have said, it sounds like the charge isn't getting from your alternator to the battery. A new battery will power the car for a while (less if you have to use the headlights) but will discharge fairly quickly. Many years ago I was travelling from Melbourne to Sydney overnight on a Friday in my GT Cortina to attend a wedding. Cracked the crankshaft pulley in half and lost the fan belt in the middle of Victoria. Managed to get to Albury but no Ford dealers open. Got a fast battery charge and off again. In the middle of NSW the Cortina died, fortunately just over the road from a (closed) service station. Spent an uncomfortable, cold night and another fast charge from the servo when it opened in the morning. Lasted to Goulburn, where the crankshaft pulley was replaced.

An Holden V8 will require more power so I would be surprised if you get more than 100ks or so from a fresh battery if it's not being charged by the alternator.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Yep, ive had a similar problem. Was a bung alternator. The new battery would have lasted a while and then just died like the old one. I would recheck the wiring between ur alternator and battery, if that is all good and the alternator is charging the battery at 14-14.4 then its an electrical gremlin somewhere else. It may sound silly, but as someone else said, make sure the alternator belt is on and installed correctly.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
As Dirty Hands suggested is the dash charge lamp lighting up at all?

A browse through my Haynes Manual suggests that
a blown lamp in the dash will stop the alternator charging on engine start.