Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS and VT Calais

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
hey guys, Im a little bit torn at the moment. Im in the market for a new car, All i know is that i want a 5.7Lt Gen 3 VT

I was all up for getting at VT SS but i've come across the Calais..The options seem alot better its alot more nicer and the price is cheaper...Can anyone please tell me what the difference in the cars is. Is the Calais Less powerful? Not as good handling etc

any help would be good thanks guys
sean,

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For the extra option of Climate control the weight of the calais is the biggest disadvantage, i prefer the seating and interior of the SS, seems overall alot nicer, firmer ride etc. Personally i'd take the SS...but it is whatever tickles your personal fancy i guess

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
horses for courses, both are a different type of car. Street Machines Commodores has a good VT Calais in there with plenty of LS1 mods done to it.

lockmac

Reaction score
calais has a lot more luxury features.. such as chrome window moulds, climate control, chrome door handles, better sound system, 3 window trip computer, full electrics. as said before, the interior i'd say isnt as good as an SS in my opinion. go the ss... its a lot more sportier looking

VTSick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC
lockmac said:
calais has a lot more luxury features.. such as chrome window moulds, climate control, chrome door handles, better sound system, 3 window trip computer, full electrics. as said before, the interior i'd say isnt as good as an SS in my opinion. go the ss... its a lot more sportier looking
I dont know about that a Vt Calais with electric seats and full leather looks ok to me!

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I'd prefer the SS over the Calais, I like my sports styling. But as people have
mentioned above, its personal taste :)

Take a drive in both, and see for yourself what you like best

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
calais isn't to bad, one thing i will say about it though is, it is heavy. I would have gone an SS no worries (actually thats what i was after) but the calais was 5k cheaper!! after owning it for about a 2 months now im in love, the nice comphy seats are a treat, the sound system goes off! nice power as well.
i will though if you like to cruise get the calais, if you'll be going to the track get the ss.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Calais for sure (if you have no problem with an auto).

The only advantage I see in an SS over a calais is the option for manual. Leather interior, climate control etc etc in the Calais is a great bonus. Not to mention the Calais is cheaper to insure as its not considered at "Sports Vehicle" whereas the SS is. Mechanically they are the same, with the exception of optional FE2 suspension opposed to standard FE2 in the SS. As mentioned earlier its marginally heavier due to extra options, but do you really notice the difference in a v8? I don't think so.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
I much prefer the Interior on the Calais..But i hate the exterior...Thats my main concern..I was looking around everywhere for a SS with leather but can'tt find one...thats why a calais apealed too me...Auto's...well i dont mind auto..tho a V8 does sound better in a manual..oh well

Guess ill have to take both of them for a test drive

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I'd say go the calais. If you like the SS body kit you can always get that put on, and in my opinion the calais look GREAT with the ss kit OR left as it is. Interior is much nicer on the calais, especially if you do end up going for the full leather. Just my two cents