Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Benji_john93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One tonner S2 3.8L
Hi i bought a vt ss a few days ago and everything was fine untill yesterday i went to start the car and and all power went out, checked fuses and the main fuse (60amp) has blown, replaced with another and tried again, blew once more. Not sure whats cauing this to happen but cant drive the car. When main is replaced i can turn the key all the way except the last bit (When you start) if i do it doesnt make any noise or try and start it just blows the main fuse. Can hear the fuel pump priming as normal.

I went through and removed fuse 13, 14 and start relay and turned key, refitted 13 turned key, refit 14 turned key and then put start relay in and it blew the mainfuse again.(have tried new relay same issue)

absolutely no idea whats happened as the car has been stopped/started a fair few times with no issue. Previous owner claims to have no history of this issue.

If it helps at all the previous owner told me before starting that need to “turn key 3 times to prime pump 3 times because its a v8” (owned a vy ss few years ago and never had to do this) and to make sure that i push the key hard into barrel to ensure that the part in the key rubs on the ignition ring.

Any help would be much appreciated!

edit: car is ls1 not 5l 304

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well if its working fine up until you turn to crank then its most probably something to do with the electrics in the engine bay, starter solenoid or starter motor going to ground, alternator or the ignition switch, I say go over all the wiring to see if you have any signs of wire rubbing or loose connectors. If all else fails a mobile auto electrician.

Benji_john93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One tonner S2 3.8L
Hi Trevor thanks for the reply, ill do exactly that tomorrow by starting with alternator and starter motor. Also the starter solenoid as in the one attached to the starter motor? And is the ignition switch behind the key barrel?

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
.......I went through and removed fuse 13, 14 and start relay and turned key, refitted 13 turned key, refit 14 turned key and then put start relay in and it blew the mainfuse again.(have tried new relay same issue)

Did you try swapping the start relay with another relay of the same type to see of the problem disappeared or moved? Which would indicate a faulty start relay.

Benji_john93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One tonner S2 3.8L
Did you try swapping the start relay with another relay of the same type to see of the problem disappeared or moved? Which would indicate a faulty start relay.

Yeah i tried it with the other relay of the same type with no luck, also tried it with a start relay from a v6 vt (was the same type) and no luck.

Today i switched out the ignition switch with one i knew works and still no luck, had a look at the earth point behind battery aswell as the earth leads around there.

I need to get the car up on stands and check the starter and alternator, hopefully its either of those

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
remove the large cable from the starter motor and tape so it doesnt touch then try to crank engine
it wont crank but if fuse doesnt blow it will help you diagnose

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Blowing a 60A fuse means serious current is flowing through a wire to earth (and back to the battery negative, obviously).

Any normal sized wire would be melted into oblivion which usually means when you replace the 60A fuse something will no longer work which doesn’t seem the case from what you’ve said.

On the other hand, if the heavy starter cable had some short to earth, it would not fry or fizzle into oblivion but most likely be warm to the touch. When replacing the main fuse in this case, all electrics should work except the fuse will blow again when cranking.

The start control wiring that energises the starter is normal sized wire so doubt that’s the issue. So I’d suggest do as @lout says and disconnect the thick starter cable from the starter motor and tape the end up so it can’t short to earth. Then replace the 60A fuse and try to crank again. If the fuse blows, then the fault isn’t with the starter motor so check that thick wire all the way back to the battery for signs of worn insulation and shouts to ground. If the fuse doesn’t blow, you have a short within the starter motor windings so the starter motor needs to be repaired/replaced.

When doin gsuch faults finding, a wiring diagram is rather helpful. This thread has some while other threads have the workshop manual... the forum search feature or google can help you find it.

Hint, I used this search term within google “vt start wiring diagram site:forums.justcommodores.com.au“ and there are lots of hits ;)

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi,
The heavy 12V cable to the starter is NOT fused. It goes straight to
the starter from the battery.
So a starter motor fault shouldn't blow the main 60A fuse even if there was a
short in the starter when it spun.
I would disconnect the thin wire to the starter solenoid as this would get
its current indirectly via the main fuse.
If the fuse then doesn't blow then the problem is in the starter solenoid.
Cheers.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sorry but wildfire is correct
cant believe that circuit is not protected