Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Commodore Appreciation Data

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think a big part of the price rise is to get a V8 you either have a choice of pre LS1 5l holden V8's or go to a VT onwards and get into the LS engines.
It's hard to find LS engines these days as everyone buys them for conversions. So if you want a V8 VT onwards looks like a good option.

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
I had to stop graphing as there was nothing for sale on carsales for months. Now i see a 5l for 25k...... tell him he's dreamin

SS_Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS1 5.0
There has been a lot of talk about whether SS Commies are going to rise in value.

Time to share some info which may help answer the question and probably also have huge holes in logic which will be exposed. For what its worth have a read if its interesting to you. Apologies for the length

We know VNs are asking big dollars and have been for some time

But now, asking prices for the three VT SS on carsales: 9800, 15000 and 16000. Whether they will get that much is debatable but 4 years ago nobody was asking more than 5k.

I know i have been tracking aversge asking prices for 5lt VTSS on a graph since 2015. I own one so i was interested but i think the same findings would be true for all your V8 SS so sm posting for all. No doubt the special ones (eg HSV) will show even better results.

I got interested then to see what would happen post close of production.

For the other geeks and maths teachers out there the equation that fits the data from december 2015 to december 2019 is this:

Y = 119.2x + 4979

This means in 2015 the average asking price was 4979

If you stayed awake during maths you might recall the graph y = mx + b. B is the reading or average value at dec 2015 when i started recording. M is the gradient... the rise in value for every unit of time

I have recorded the average asking price on carsales for 5.0lt vt ss 34 times in 4 years. That's about once every 42 days.

So every 40 days the asking price has increased by $119.2

If you want to get exact it works out at $2.78 increase in asking price every day

Who ever thought maths would actually be useful.

It all depends on whether asking prices on carsales are any indication of value. I think people generally ask too much but even if you halved the asking prices over the past 4 years you would still find the same trend

And its not just for the VT.

I also graphed the EL XR8 as my bro has one. Similar equation....

Y = 137.49 × 6816

Same thing. Going up consistently over the past 4 years.

For both, most of the increase had been in the past 2 years.
you still updating this chart mate? good read

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
you still updating this chart mate? good read
I sort of stopped... there werent any for sale at all for a while. And now it seems to have lost touch with reality so it seems like keeping stats on lunacy.... i mean....49k for a VT SS..... really?

SS_Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS1 5.0
I sort of stopped... there werent any for sale at all for a while. And now it seems to have lost touch with reality so it seems like keeping stats on lunacy.... i mean....49k for a VT SS..... really?
yeah, copy that mate. I just like to keep an eye out on the value and anything for sale since I have a factory manual 5.0.