Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Commodore Appreciation Data

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
There has been a lot of talk about whether SS Commies are going to rise in value.

Time to share some info which may help answer the question and probably also have huge holes in logic which will be exposed. For what its worth have a read if its interesting to you. Apologies for the length

We know VNs are asking big dollars and have been for some time

But now, asking prices for the three VT SS on carsales: 9800, 15000 and 16000. Whether they will get that much is debatable but 4 years ago nobody was asking more than 5k.

I know i have been tracking aversge asking prices for 5lt VTSS on a graph since 2015. I own one so i was interested but i think the same findings would be true for all your V8 SS so sm posting for all. No doubt the special ones (eg HSV) will show even better results.

I got interested then to see what would happen post close of production.

For the other geeks and maths teachers out there the equation that fits the data from december 2015 to december 2019 is this:

Y = 119.2x + 4979

This means in 2015 the average asking price was 4979

If you stayed awake during maths you might recall the graph y = mx + b. B is the reading or average value at dec 2015 when i started recording. M is the gradient... the rise in value for every unit of time

I have recorded the average asking price on carsales for 5.0lt vt ss 34 times in 4 years. That's about once every 42 days.

So every 40 days the asking price has increased by $119.2

If you want to get exact it works out at $2.78 increase in asking price every day

Who ever thought maths would actually be useful.

It all depends on whether asking prices on carsales are any indication of value. I think people generally ask too much but even if you halved the asking prices over the past 4 years you would still find the same trend

And its not just for the VT.

I also graphed the EL XR8 as my bro has one. Similar equation....

Y = 137.49 × 6816

Same thing. Going up consistently over the past 4 years.

For both, most of the increase had been in the past 2 years.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
But now, asking prices for the three VT SS on carsales: 9800, 15000 and 16000. Whether they will get that much is debatable but 4 years ago nobody was asking more than 5k.

carsales is a poor metric, too many dreamers.

upload_2019-12-12_11-10-33.png

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Would love a 5l 195kw VT SS manual but hard to find

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
It's interesting that it's a straight line function. I would have thought it would be moderately exponential. Perhaps over 4 years it approximates a straight line, but over maybe 20 or 30 years it loses linearity. I have a VS L67 manual and I doubt there will ever be any data on its appreciation.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There has been a lot of talk about whether SS Commies are going to rise in value.

Time to share some info which may help answer the question and probably also have huge holes in logic which will be exposed. For what its worth have a read if its interesting to you. Apologies for the length

I know i have been tracking aversge asking prices for 5lt VTSS on a graph since 2015. I own one so i was interested but i think the same findings would be true for all your V8 SS so sm posting for all. No doubt the special ones (eg HSV) will show even better results.

For the other geeks and maths teachers out there the equation that fits the data from december 2015 to december 2019 is this:

Y = 119.2x + 4979

If you stayed awake during maths you might recall the graph y = mx + b. B is the reading or average value at dec 2015 when i started recording. M is the gradient... the rise in value for every unit of time

I have recorded the average asking price on carsales for 5.0lt vt ss 34 times in 4 years. That's about once every 42 days.

If you want to get exact it works out at $2.78 increase in asking price every day

It all depends on whether asking prices on carsales are any indication of value. I think people generally ask too much but even if you halved the asking prices over the past 4 years you would still find the same trend

Y = 137.49 × 6816

Got a graph ?

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
It's interesting that it's a straight line function. I would have thought it would be moderately exponential. Perhaps over 4 years it approximates a straight line, but over maybe 20 or 30 years it loses linearity. I have a VS L67 manual and I doubt there will ever be any data on its appreciation.
Sorry i should have said it was a trendline. Graph below.... above.... somewhere. Probably heavily influenced by speculative increase in last 12 months. We will see in a other 4 years!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I think it all depends on want vs rarity and everything else inbetween.
Rare doesn't always mean wanted.
A great comparison is the BMX bikes from the 80s.
Some were very common but the costs now are quite up there to buy them, and of course there are the dreamers out there.
However some of the "rare" items don't have as much value because back then they weren't wanted and still aren't wanted today.

Still kicking myself, about 8 years ago was looking at a few weekend cars, such as EH's all the way through to HSV VZ Coupes (GTO). Either way they would have been a nice buy, especially since the GTOs have gone up a good $30-40k in that time.

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE + a few VT’s S1’s & S2’s

Y = 119.2x + 4979

Y = 137.49 × 6816

Hi, well it’s now January 2021 and I think most Holden’s have gone up in price.
As for the VT SS’s they have definitely gone up, although everything goes on condition.
I own a few VT SS’s S1 & S2 + other VT’s and I’ve been keeping watch for years, no graphs (very nice by the way) but having bought and sold VT’s I believe I have a reasonable sense of the market.
Recently I noticed a worn out white series 2 manual with high kilometres go on eBay (auction) in late December 2020 for just under 7.5K it would not have reached half that in early 2020.
The big price hikes have been the VT series 2 clubsports..
The price hike is probably the same % wise as the SS but as the starting price is higher that makes the new price more noticeable.
You could pick up a very nice log booked VT R8 clubsport for 15K in early 2020 by December the “asking price” had gone to the low to mid 30K mark, probably the same % as the SS’s but a more noticeable price increase.

I see there is a VT HSV tiga mica R8 manual on carsales only showing 20,000k’s on the clock but advertised at near 80K (car dealer)....similar car in red travelled under 40k with books was advertised by a dealer for under 40k in mid 2019.

Prices depend on a several factors thought.
condition
Originality
books
auto/manual
Colour
Factory options
With HSV build numbers

As for selling platform over the years (advertising on all 3) I have usually sold my better quality cars through carsales and the poorer examples through gumtree or eBay not a golden rule but that’s what I have personally experienced.

Cheers,

Reactions: Lex