Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt ss gen 3

reggie_c2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 vs 2 clubsport
dear commodore lovers, i am itching to buy the vt ss gen 3 ls1, im a p plater so i was just wondering if it is legal to drive? i just cant wait any longer to come off my p's, 9 mnths! too far away, thanks. i live in vic

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
It's illegal to drive, my good man.. It exceeds the power to weight ratio..

That said, the fine is only $110 and no points.. However, any insurancepolicy can easily be voided, should you get into a crash. So unless you can get a work or other permit (ie, it's the only car in your home), I would NOT recommend having it as a daily driver until you're off your P's...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Actually doesn;t the law state that driving a vehicle with excessive power on your P Plates can cause you to lose your licence?

No offence, but unless you have 3g minimum to insure it, why bother?

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
i was a p-plater still when getting insurance for my gen3 they had not problem with it but i didnt even drive my car until i got off the p's was only like 2 months so yea and insurance was only no more than $1500

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
bennzy said:
i was a p-plater still when getting insurance for my gen3 they had not problem with it but i didnt even drive my car until i got off the p's was only like 2 months so yea and insurance was only no more than $1500

Full insured in your name?

What insurance company?

It is a berlina, so would expain alot.

Try doing an SS in your own name, AAMI and any companies they underwrite will not insure you an SS with a gen3 to any one under 30.

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
might aswell wait mate . . . by then should be able to pick up one with a few g's off it

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
minux - full comp, with the mods on it which include spoiler, tint, 4 g's worth of wheel and tyres with hsv full exhaust system. All through Just Cars.

but my old car a ford fairmont ghia with the vr6 ticky in it with full exhaust system including pacemaker comp headers, lowered, tinted windows, amp and sub and mag wheels and gas. Just Cars was going to give me pretty much the same price as the commodore, and the ford was twice its age as well

mynuvu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS SII
hey buddy. I live in Queensland, 21 been off my P's for more than a year and just cars are the only ones who would even look at me when i was getting my vu insured. Cost me 1500 straight up

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
just wait out the time - like the others said, itll be that little bit cheaper and cost of insurance, legalities etc will also come down.
insurance will still hurt even off the p's being a young male.