Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS GEN3 starting problem?? please help

billieruss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 Tiger Mica
Sorry if there is already a topic on this, but I did a search, found a couple and the problems are slightly different.

OK so, I finally got myself a gen3 ss (VT series 2 auto) and drove it home from the seller (1.5hour drive with stop for fuel) not a problem in the world.
The next couple of days were rain so I had everything going ie, demister/fan, lights (noticed I need a tail globe) wipers, and radio.

5min drive to petrol station, turned it off, then when I came back to start it all I got was one click (all reds working) would not start for 20mins then it did.

same the next day and every time after that, it will start for the initial drive but just clicks once when I try to restart??

I bought a jump starter and still nothing.
Until after 2.5hrs, I was a little embarrassed and a whole lot ANGRY, I turned the key from off to on over and over and it finally started,
and for some reason this is the only way it will re-start??

Anyone have any knowledge of the ls1, your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks guys.
Russ.

beny87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2002
I have the same issue on ocasions, got new battery and relay but still the same. Would be good if any one has a clue what it could be apart from a electrical problem

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
Same here in my vy ss replaced battery still does same.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Starter motor could be on its way out.. Will start when engine is cold but once the engine is hot then so is the starter motor and it won't start again till it cools down a little

Clayton355

Bring it on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vnss
Mine will do it first thing in morning cold

billieruss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 Tiger Mica
Ok so I found a different way to start the car
When it doesnt start, which got to the point of every time, by fluke I changed my tactic to pulling the key out and putting it back in (couple times in a row)
Then it would start straight away (every time)
But before this, I also pulled the key apart and cleaned it, also cleaned the ignition and slightly bent the ignition contacts out, and now I dont even have to pull the key out and back in.
It hasnt done it for 3days now and ive stop/started at multiple destinations (purposely) in all my trips..........so now it starts first go cold or hot...........bloody gremlins must be on holiday lol ill give it a week and post an update

billieruss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 Tiger Mica
Also, The best price I found for brand new starters on ebay was $96

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Ignition barrel key reader thingo it bust or the key battery is nearly flat.