Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS Manual or VS SS Manual - How do I decide

doof47

Reaction score
Members Ride
Saving up atm for VT SS Manual
Hi all,

Need some help if you please. Am currently saving up to buy myself an SS manual but am unsure whether I should get and VS Series 2 or a VT, by later September I'll have enough saved up.

What I do know is that the VS Series 2 was by far the best from the VN to VS range.
What I dont know is much about the VT model.

Did VT come out in only series 1 or was there a series 2 also.

I do like the looks of a VT body style over a VS, but I also need to factor in the engine which the VS series 2 was brilliant.

If I could relate the VT, it is in the same position in its range (VT-VZ) as the VN was in its range (VN -VS). I never liked the VN model, easy to steal, substandard instrument panel and quite plain, VP got a bit better, and so it goes on.

I started going to car yards last weekend to scout out a VS or VT SS Manual and came across a VT Gen 3 SS Manual for $8000 *bargin*, but unfortunately it sold earlier that day.

Now I have heard of Gen 3 before and assume it is to do with the motor as it is a 5.7lt as oppose to the standard 5.0lt.

Can I have your feedback as to what I should be aiming for.

It is my first V8 that I will be purchasing so I need to know what I should look at regarding the body (inside and out) and the engine. I would consider both 5.0lt and 5.7lt, and as mentioned before, needs to be Manual.

Thanks fellow Holden Followers.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
pretty sure there is series 1, 2 and 3 in the vt's.. personally id choose the gen 3 vt over the 5.0lt vt and vs ;)

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
VS or VT I would get whatever you find in better condition (if you don't mind 5L) or try to get the series 2 VT which was 5.7L.

Either way you will still have all the common commodore problems

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
series 1 vt ss had the 5 litre holden v8 (304), then from series 2 onwards in vt the ss had the gen 3 v8 (ls1).

i wouldn't buy a series 1 vt ss over a good vs ss, as they have the same engine but the vt is heavier. the series 2 onwards vt ss is different. when they first came out they had oil consumption problems but all those should have been fixed by now. the build quality in the vt commodore is better than the vs, and obviously a bit more modern. a standard series 2 vt ss won't feel as grunty as an early holden engined ss in the lower revs as the torque peak with the ls1 is at higher rpm.

the ls1 engine is pretty crazy with mods now and the old 304 holden is getting left behind.

if it were up to me i would find a good condition vs ss with a manual and mod it. they are a bit lighter and i like the sound of the aussie v8 more.

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
series 1 vt ss had the 5 litre holden v8 (304), then from series 2 onwards in vt the ss had the gen 3 v8 (ls1).

i wouldn't buy a series 1 vt ss over a good vs ss, as they have the same engine but the vt is heavier. the series 2 onwards vt ss is different. when they first came out they had oil consumption problems but all those should have been fixed by now. the build quality in the vt commodore is better than the vs, and obviously a bit more modern. a standard series 2 vt ss won't feel as grunty as an early holden engined ss in the lower revs as the torque peak with the ls1 is at higher rpm.

the ls1 engine is pretty crazy with mods now and the old 304 holden is getting left behind.

if it were up to me i would find a good condition vs ss with a manual and mod it. they are a bit lighter and i like the sound of the aussie v8 more.

Well said.A nice black manual VS SS ftw.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
try and get ur hands on a vt series 2 with the ls1 in it. if u cant the vt series 1 is still a new safer better handling chassis than the vs. it just depends what ur after. for looks, a nice black vs as mentioned above will do nicely

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
VT all the way man, had a basic vt and vs. aalso the vs look cheap and dodgey compared to the vt lol drives alot better too and a better engine with the Gen3

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Well said.A nice black manual VS SS ftw.

The thing is though, the inside of a VT is so much nicer than the VS, there is no way I could go back to a VS now.

Last edited:

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
VT's had a series 1 and a series 2 mate
S1 VT SS 5.0L - 179kw
S2 VT SS 5.7L (LS1) - 220kw
The series 1 VT will have the same 5.0L engine as the VS SS but as mentioned above the VT is heavier. So technically the VT has a lower power/weight ratio. But as also said above, the VT is more modern then the VS so personally id go for a VT. Both the 5L and the 5.7L have their pros and cons mate so its all up to you really. The 5.0L sounds heaps better (imo. has that old school V8 sound) and has a lower torque range, plus you will prob find one a lil cheaper as you can probably talk a seller down a lil (the whole ''well it isnt a 5.7L so its not really worth that much'' line etc) but, in comparison to a S2 the 5L lacks in power. Although if you plan on doing it up the 5L still has some good potential if u port out the heads etc. With a 5.7L you will gets heaps more power and as said there are 1000 mods available to get even more out of it. The 5.7's had a lot of issues in early days and a lot of engines were completely rebuild while under warranty due to piston slap/excessive oil consumption/etc. (I think they have an X or something stamped near the VIN if they have had a rebuild done?). Also if the kms are near or over 200k then give it a full checkover underneath, as I have seen countless 5.7's come through my work with oil leaks all over the place.
Hope that helps you out Doof :)

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Drive some and see which you like the best.