Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss revs

Dee jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0 Ltr manual & 96 WRX
Hey this is probly askd heaps but is 100kph at 2000rm pritty good? And also if i hold the revs at 3000-3500 rpm for a trip will this damage my engine at all? Cheers Dee Jay :hmmm:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
It will produce more heat since more frequent combustion would occur but as long as it doesnt overheat I cant see an issue aside from fuel use. Can I ask where you plan on doing this 175kph trip?

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
In a 5ltr 2000rpm at 100kph is the norm and work wonders for fuel consumption.

The same trip at 3000-3500RPM, will chew through fuel and you will find the engine will get extremely warm. Probably wont do your gearbox any good spinning at that speed for that long.
That said when engines are manufactured usually they are picked out at random and reved to max for hours at a time - this is done in controlled conditions though I wouldn't recommend it!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
im assuming its auto then yeah 2000rpm is normal for standard diff gears, manual will usually be a bit lower

Dee jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
It will produce more heat since more frequent combustion would occur but as long as it doesnt overheat I cant see an issue aside from fuel use. Can I ask where you plan on doing this 175kph trip?

Sweet then, oh just give my car a gud run up from the coast ;)

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I am curious, what gear would you be using for the trip to maintain 3000/3500rpm? And why? Assuming you are not going to be travelling at 175kph.

Dee jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and it is a manual so it that a bit high? Oh will the engine just warm up its got the trip comp in it and it says then engines sits at 87-93°c even when i was doing 3000 revs it was using **** all pertol it was only when i slowd down to 100 it chewed it all.. Haha and will it just wear the gear box down a little bit? Because i had a wrx and it sat at 3000 revs at 100 so yea and they said that was normal -.-

Dee jay

Reaction score
Members Ride
5th haha idk just let my car have a gud run :) nope not at all.. ;) haha

BlueWalky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5 Litre
yeh mine sits pretty standard at 1900 at 100kmh, but as the others said mate apart from heat shouldnt cause much drama!
nice bit of poke when u put ur foot down in 5th i'm betting!

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
i had a wrx and it sat at 3000 revs at 100 so yea and they said that was normal -.-

Different engines and gear ratios. The WRX has half as many cylinders to fire so I would imagine it would produce less heat at the same speed at cruising conditions. Your SS should be fine at those speeds but its a matter of how long you want to do it for.