Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS suspension upgrade

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Hi, just wanting to know what some preferred options are for upgrading the stock suspension setup on a VT SS to improve cornering performance in both normal and spirited driving conditions (understanding it is a heavy car of course!).

I have driven a VX R8 which felt more planted to the road, whereas my SS demonstrates a lot of body roll and lethargy. How different are the HSV components to my SS, i.e. is the HSV setup something that my car could benefit from? Are there better options to consider?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unless you have recently overhauled the suspension I would suggest starting with all new shocks on all corners and replace any original suspension bush left on the car and possibly a set of new springs, then I would throw some sway bars and strut brace at it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sway bars will stop a lot of the bodyroll.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Thanks. So a new set of aftermarket shocks and springs, new bushes and larger sway bars should do the trick?

How about components such as adjustable camber and toe kits etc.?

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Bump for a possible answer to my question above.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Toe and camber kit for rear. Yes if they are excessively out on the rear but understand that although they will fix camber and toe when the car is static toe and camber will still alter as the rear suspension arms move up and down ( this been the major issue with the design).

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Toe and camber kit for rear. Yes if they are excessively out on the rear but understand that although they will fix camber and toe when the car is static toe and camber will still alter as the rear suspension arms move up and down ( this been the major issue with the design).

Thanks for your reply. Currently there is no excessive tire wear or other indication that camber is an issue. However, I fear this may become an issue if a new suspension package is installed, especially if the car is lower, wheels are changed etc.

To clarify, you are referring to excessive negative camber as the car squats under heavy acceleration, change in toe and camber as the car hits a bump etc.? The kits seem pointless if they have no effect when the car is moving o_O

Last edited:

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
After taking some advice from this thread on board, I am considering a new set of Bilstein B8's paired with a new set of quality springs and would upgrade bush, sway bars etc. at the same time. I don't want to drop the height extravagantly, perhaps 50mm max. Has anyone had any experience with the Bilstein B12 kits?

Last edited:

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
Thanks for your reply. Currently there is no excessive tire wear or other indication that camber is an issue. However, I fear this may become an issue if a new suspension package is installed, especially if the car is lower, wheels are changed etc.

To clarify, you are referring to excessive negative camber as the car squats under heavy acceleration, change in toe and camber as the car hits a bump etc.? The kits seem pointless if they have no effect when the car is moving o_O
Well with semi-trailing arms, you are basically stuffed. Comes from the Opel Omega. They knew it was a poor-man's IRS and only lowered their "sports" models by 1 cm, but as for the Holden FE2, it is
what 1 inch?

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Well with semi-trailing arms, you are basically stuffed. Comes from the Opel Omega. They knew it was a poor-man's IRS and only lowered their "sports" models by 1 cm, but as for the Holden FE2, it is
what 1 inch?

This IRS setup was carried through to the VZ right? The VY rear subframe seems to be a favourable fix to the negative camber. Will installing lower springs/shorter shocks render this swap pointless?