Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt ss wheels on a vk?

Jimboss

Reaction score
Alot of car companies change the wheels on each model or every couple of models (they have on the falcon), so i guess we should be happy with the freedom in choice of wheels that we have.

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
vk_dog_208 said:
ok ive got a workmate whos offered me some 17'' vt ss wheels with good tread, but i have heard on the grapevine that they dont fit up and some sort of modification has to be done to fit on the hub? the vk has disc front and drum rear.

hope u guys can fill me in on this

cheers cam
Nah thats all BS mate. I have 235 x 45 x 17 on my standard hub VK. they fit with heaps of room. Could prbably go to 19's without too much trouble.

Kain

Jimboss

Reaction score
darkmoon said:
Nah thats all BS mate. I have 235 x 45 x 17 on my standard hub VK. they fit with heaps of room. Could prbably go to 19's without too much trouble.

Kain

Well that will depend on the ride height, i have super lows with 235x45 17's and they scraped really bad (only the fronts), and the guards needed to be rolled.

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
yep. That would be a suspension issue rather than hubs.
Kain

stevenvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice gen 3, 1975 HJ Statesman
Im planning on putting 17s on my VH SLE soon and have friends with them on there vbs and vcs and havent had any problems. One of them put them on to go over the pits a couple of months back in perth before i moved to adelaide. He also had super lows on his commodore without any scrubbing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
vh-holden said:
the problem is with the big round bit that sticks through the middle of the wheel. there was a slight change in size with the vt. the wheels still bolt on, but are only held on by the nuts, and not supported fully by the hub. whether this is an issue or not....?

No big deal untill the wheel studs let go one day (probably as you go over a railway line or some other big bump) Depending on how many break, things can get a tad exciting :D

IIRC VT onwards had a different offset to the earlier cars too. Your insurance company would probably have issues with 17" wheels on a VK.

Cheers,
Reaper

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
Jimboss said:
All commo's have the same stud pattern, so the latest HSV or Monaro rims would fit on a VB, the only problem you may encounter would be if they are 17x8 and you had super-low springs, then you would need the guards rolled.

But in short, yes they will fit, i can gaurantee it, i have seen about a million early model commodores with VT SS rims:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
my mate bryce had cut springs (2 coils lol) on his (my) vk and he had vx 17" rims and it only rubbed around corners and bumps in the road

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I had 235x45x17 on my VKC, fronts scraped like a bitch on sharp corners & bumps :( front wasnt lowered either. I would say roll your gaurds anyways. Not worth the hassle if they 'might' scrape or not....

& 17's are legal on the Calais because it came factory with 15's.

Mate of mine has 19's on his VK..... & with gaurds rolled he still scrapes lol wayyyyyy low that thing is..... hehehehehehe

D.

broderikb

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 HSV SENATOR 5000i
Back to the original question, I had VT SS rims on my VK, It had s/low kings, adj panhard rod & it NEVER scraped once. I was going to fit 16" walkinshaw rims but they will only fit with four wheel discs as the rear of the rim is machined to fit over the hub to get the offset right for the VL(genuine rims only, the cheap n nasty copies will fit drums).