Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss wont start after rebuild

thehotdogman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi guys I've got a 98 SS 5lt had a blown head gasket when I first got it an no key so I got a new bcm and key coded the bcm to the ecu with my tech 2 it started then I found out it had a blown head gasket so we stripped the motor and rebuilt it. Put it all back together but in the time we needed to get a new steering column and barrel to suit the key so I found one on ebay so needles to say new barrel and bcm and key again paired the bcm and key again to ecu again key works on unlocking central locking wise so I know its Programed but now I'm getting no spark since we put it back together from the any spark plugs, got a new ignition module just incase that was the problem still know success getting power to the coil in and out but still no power out of dizzy does anyone have any ideas

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The barrel in the steering column can be different. The key just unscrews and fits into the key head.

You can easily repin the barrels yourself so the ignition key is the same as the doors still.

Shouldn’t need to anything with the BCM or key when replacing the steering column.

I might have misread something.

thehotdogman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
The barrel in the steering column can be different. The key just unscrews and fits into the key head.

You can easily repin the barrels yourself so the ignition key is the same as the doors still.

Shouldn’t need to anything with the BCM or key when replacing the steering column.

I might have misread something.
I've got the ignition working im just still getting no spark

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have a mismatch on anything, the PIM will prevent fuel and spark as a security measure. It might turn over but no start will happen.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
In your original post you say you had it running.
Then you need a new steering column and barrel to suit the key? That does not make sense to me. There’s no need for that. You have the key. It’s the key head that talks to the system and that just gets swapped over. You said you then got another BCM. That too is confusing me because it’s not required to do, considering that all you had to do was swap the key head to the key you got with the column & barrel.

The ECM, BCM, Keyhead and PIM and cluster all need to be matched.
Something has gone wrong with that IMO.

What happened to the column and barrel at the same time that required them to be changed. None of that will require a BCM change.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the ignition module working?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The hall effect sensor in the dizzy may have died. Can you try another known working dizzy?