Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss

Tobias2832

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss commodore 5 litre manual
i have a 98 vt ss with 5 litre 5 speed manual , I’ve developed and sound in the rear of it and not sure what it is , I have replaced centre bearing as I was told that’s what it was and still no difference, the left stub axle in the diff centre has slight movement if pushed up and down , not sure if it could cause such a noise but , the only way I can describe its as if it is every rotation and sounds like a helicopter chasing you lol , I’m decent at working on cars but this one has me stumped , getting worse and this is the only vehicle I have at the moment so any help would be much appreciated.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I had sounds coming from the diff more of a groan and thud replaced the diff oil and they went away if you replace the diff oil make sure to use correct grade i had some 70 to 90 lying around thought i would get away with it but made it even worse get penrite it has additives to smooth it out

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Couldnt hurt anyway to try think its its 26 bucks for 2.5 litres at supercheap takes 1.6 l proberly 80 to 90 like the vy dont take my word though just pull the lowest middle bolt drain and fill from the big bolt in middle till it starts pouring out

Tobias2832

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I’ll give that a go , thanks mate

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check out the attached. It might enable you to better pinpoint your problem.

Attachments

• VT Driveline Noise Diagnosis.pdf
    318.4 KB · Views: 185

Tobias2832

Reaction score
Members Ride
So this is what happens , I take of in first gear within 20 metres it starts knocking and the more I speed up it also speeds up , if I put it in neutral and coast in does not go away but does get fainter , until it’s back down to low speed then gets the loud knock back again . I had a look underneath and I can move the stub axle in the diff (left side) slightly up and down , if I have it on stands and put it in gear so wheels spin it won’t make a sound , only when it is driving it can be heard . Changed diff oil today and still the same . Oil was a little low but not to much .

Tobias2832

Reaction score
Members Ride
makes slight clunk noise if rocking wheel back and forward on stands . Also if it helps it has a lsd