Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS1 gas research

silverVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS1
Hey.. i recently bought a VT SS1 and am looking to convert it over to straight gas. i've been doing some research over the past cupl weeks but havent quite found the definitive answer i need.

I first called Lakeside Automotive in Reservoir but was told that they didnt have the equipment to convert mine to straight gas and it was too late of a model.

I then called Rapid Flow Development in Hoppers and they said that it couldnt be done as straight gas, but duel fuel. He did mention that it would be dual fuel & gas research (changing the throttle body over ect.). I was quoted $3200 btw.

Am i right in saying that I cant get straight gas on my 5.0L? Can i only get duel fuel (gas research), but tune it to gas?

And if I were to get dual fuel with gas research, will gas still be as unhealthy for my engine?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
dont get a gas research as its not legal and wont be rego'd. Call AMR in Oakleigh, they should have kits for it. Also try Impco, as they are already kitting new Holdens and Fords. Depending on setup, ok i have a 6 but my normal ecu tunes the petrol, my piggyback, or reprogram into ecu does the gas. The only issue u have when changing is waiting for the injectors to run properly as when you stay on lpg for too long, like a month without running fuel injectors get sticky.

V8's traditionally had a Vapour type system i believe. Now they go injector.

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
Try ProGas in Huntingdale if it's not too far for you to travel.
They did my uncle's V8 Adventura, his son's Dodge Nitro and his other Ford BA wagon.
Said they did a really good job.

I'm thinking of getting my VX on duel fuel.
As far as I know cars manufactured from 2001-Present are no dramas, it's Pre-2001 that is tricky.

If you can afford a direct injection system it's meant to be worth it (for 8's especially). :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 5.7
I have a VT SS with 5 litre engine with the vapour injection system fitted by LPG Conversions in Tullamarine. The car is duel fuel option but there is hardly any difference in power between gas and petrol. I get roughly 400-440 per tank out of 73 usable litres, costs about $35 to fill. Have had the system fitted since 30,000klms it now has done just under 100,000 and has not missed a beat. Give the guys down there a call they know there stuff.

silverVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS1
thanks for the help guys.. how much did the vapour injection LPG cost?

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
vapour injection is around $4-4500

or even better liquid injection $5200

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Not worth getting a mixer-based system fitted to a V8. A 6-banger maybe but definitely not an 8, especially if you want to preserve power or are considering intake/exhaust mods. Injection all the way.

Regards,
Dave