Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalled and now won't start!

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hey guys,

My daily driver is giving me issues. It's a '97 series 1 VT Berlina, V6, with only 98,000kms on the clock. It was serviced about 5,000kms ago.

So the story is, I started it, reversed it up my hill driveway, once at the top the engine lost power then stalled.

Now, it won't start. The starter motor is working, the engine actually sounds like it starts to crank over for a very short period of time, then it dies.

Using pins 5 and 6 bridged on the diagnostic connector, no error codes flashed out.

I've been told the most likely issues are the fuel pump/fuel filter, spark plugs/leads/coils or the crank angle sensor.

On some mornings, it would idle quite roughly, then smooth out and there wouldn't be an issue for the rest of the day.

So, judging on this information, what do you guys think could be wrong?

I intend to start going over everything tomorrow, it's too dark outside to worry about it tonight.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

Edit: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...97-2002/155971-vt-stalled-now-wont-start.html
Assuming it's a similar story as the above! Still keen to hear some opinions.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
low on fuel would be my first thought

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Appreciate the input mate.

After another 10+ attempts at starting, it started fine. My father seems to think that it might have been flooded with fuel? The engine bay did smell like fuel, air filter was clean, ignition was sparking, fuel pump was starting up okay, everything seemed fine, it just struggled to start. And now it starts perfectly.

Would not mind getting to the bottom of the issue, I am currently on Uni holidays, but when I go back I can't really afford to be missing days due to the car.

Any other thoughts with the new information?

Cheers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How much fuel was in the tank and how steep is the hill driveway?

When it started was it still on the incline?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
is the remote working correctly
does the red mode led turn off when you are having issues

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
How much fuel was in the tank and how steep is the hill driveway?

When it started was it still on the incline?

Had just filled up the tank earlier that day, would have been 95+% full. Started perfectly at the bottom on flat ground, wouldn't start at the top of basically flat ground (slight sideways lean).

is the remote working correctly
does the red mode led turn off when you are having issues

Have not had an issue with the remote, I did not notice the red mode led at all when having issues (mind you, it wasn't something I was paying attention to and the issues have not occurred again, yet).

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
foreign object in the fuel clogging the filter perhaps, don't know. I'd just recommend replacing the fuel filter.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I'll be replacing the fuel filter soon. When I turn off the car, it has a pretty heavy fuel smell outside the car. Is it likely to stem from the same issue or something entirely different? Cheers

lukazzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt
Could be a faulty fuel pump relay change with the a/c one and see what happens happened to mine

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Thanks for that, I will try it soon. It does not always smell like fuel, only when I ride it a bit harder than a grandpa.