Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalling, crank no start

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you checked for fault codes when this problem occurs?

What you describe is the exact symptom caused by a CAS failure but you've replaced that so it should rule it out.

Make sure there are no contaminants in the plugs to the CAS and DFI and Cam sensor.

I have seen a case where a faulty cam sensor caused problems with the CAS and stopped it functioning correctly.

Reactions: Lex

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Hey guys,

Just an update from my post.

I have spoken to another mechanic well out of town, (county mechanic but fully qualified). He asked me for exact details of the problem from when it started to now.

I explained everything and he actually said to me that his money is on the CAS. Even if you throw water on it in cold weather and still won’t start, that doesn’t mean it’s not the CAS.

And told him it was throwing the code for CAS.

He was saying even a bad pin, bad wire or earth can still throw it, regardless of water or weather, the car can still die randomly once or 50 times, mind of its own.

He also said with the hitting the fuel pump, yea that works but if it’s the fuel pump, you can hit it but then go on for another 12 months so he doubts it’s a fuel pump.

So he has said get the CAS replaced first with genuine or Delphi brand as most others are crap.

So the car is in getting the CAS done and also a Camshaft sensor at the same time in the same brand with all the pins/plugs checked and all tested. I pick the car up later today, So I will see how it goes over the next few days as it would normally start to play up within 2-3 days or 100-200 max 300kms of something being replaced so depending on how much driving I do.

I will know by end of weekend or during next week if either 1 or both of those sensors have been the problem all along, or no luck at all, will keep you all updated.

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
I must ask, what oil and oil grade do people use for their commodores that is around the 330,000kms mark? I have always been using Castrol GTX 20w50 since owing the car which is 3 years now give or take and once used penrite 10w30. So who uses what on theirs at that Kms mark??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nothing wrong with a 20w-50 considering the mileage. Holden recommended a 10w-30 but that was probably to improve economy.