Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalls on first startup each day.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Pretty much says it all.

Fairly high kms, country driven 1997 VT V6 auto. Stalls every day on first cold start in the morning, starts up, idles for a moment then stalls. 2nd go with a quick pump of the pedal works fine.

First attempt will work if you apply a small amount of throttle as you start it up... ?

Any common problems relating to this? I don't know my VTs unfortunately :)

Cheers
Sam

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
One problem here Sam is that your having to pump the pedal...
VT's shouldnt need pumping

Try turning the key until you hear the pump prime then start it see if that helps.

Always good to rev it as you stall it too that way the fuel line doesnt take stuff all to prime next time you start it.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
could be your CAS sensor that can cause shenanigans...

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
Firstly clean your injectors.
a bottle of injector cleaner from your local auto parts store run it through with a tank of petrol, if that doesnt work check all spark plugs and leads along with coil packs too. secondly check the injectors are getting an electrical current and also check the injectors are actually working, thirdly check the CAS as suggested above it can throw random codes that arent logged and cause general shenanigans.

CoMrAdE MaRx23

CoMrAdE MaRx23
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
Cleaning your injectors with fuel additives or the injector clean cans that clip into the fuel rail, is a BAD idea. It doesn’t clean the injectors properly and you run the risk of completely blocking them with the silt and crap that sits in the fuel rails, that has accumulated since 97.
Injector cleaner should only be used in your car from brand new. Or remove them completely and get them professionally cleaned and tested.

As for your starting problem when you finally start the car does the engine light stay on for a while? if so its your ignition slip ring (it's part of GMH immobilizer) its a quick and easy part to remove and re-fit.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
dude, the problem is only a few things (my opinion of course) the idle speed motor, which at high km like mine it was fairly choked . this motor regulates the air going through the throttle body. its a very small passage for air to go through and gets clogged up when you driving n dusty conditions for long periods. especially if the car was from someone who never serviced the vehicle properly and at the right intervals another is the throttle position sensor. also the fuel filter needs to be changed every 30-40k. give the throttle body a good clean with kero and completly wipe clean before reinstall. this job is easy.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be that the fuel system is not retaining pressure properly. Next time you start it in the morning let it prime a couple of times to build up pressure. If this works you might have a small leak in the fuel pressure regulator.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I THINK we may have solved the problem. Basic neglect :p leads were old and terrible.. I will know for sure in a few days as it was always worst on cold mornings .. also Dad mentioned that holding it at 'start' for slightly longer always circumvented the problem, so I figure leads are a likely culprit.

New ones are on, will soon see if it's fixed :)