Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt start then stop / immobiliser issue? dead key? PLEASE HELP

jamie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
hi all

ive read alot about this on as many forums as i can and ive tried it all so please i need some real help.

this is what happened

drove to the pub, locked the car. came out and key remote (3 button) does not open doors, so opened manually. turn ignition, car turns over and fires instantly for a second then dies. huh? tried again same thing!

(side note: a couple of weeks ago i turned the key and nothing....banged on the fuse box and tried again and it went)????

right now if i turn the key slowely auxillaries come on and if i turn further to crank the starter, the radio lights go off as usual but no cranking, if i turn key all the way off and then quickly turn the key all the way to crank it cranks and runs for a second then dies.

immobiliser light is always blinking

i got the bcm numbers from holden

got a new key programmed (locksmith looked at my old key and said the codes were still in it so i didnt need to get info from holden-even tho i had them, but he took codes anyway)

new key acts just like the old one (yes i followed instructions to the letter for the new key)

so i then sat in the car for 1.5 hrs with key in ignition on auxillary hoping immobiliser would be overridden (so ive read approx 40-60 mins) light still blinks and car still acted as above.

the car is still at the pub and i dont know what else to do.

please all serious info will be appreciated

thanks
jamie

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Could potentially be a faulty BCM, mate. Do you have a friend with a car the same? Swap the ECU, BCM and keyheads to get your car home. It will need to be the same BCM and ECU part numbers to work with your car though.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The immobiliser is not turning off, the immobiliser is in the the BCM. You will need a new BCM, it happened to me once with the exact symptoms that you described. If you buy a used BCM you will need the key head (remote) that goes with it and then you will need to have the BCM linked to your ECU with a Tech 2, which means a trip to Holden, unless you know someone else with a Tech 2. The car won't start until you get them linked, it's a security thing, otherwise people could break in and plug in their own BCM and off they go. I would like to tell you a simple fix but there is none and unfortunatly it's going to be a little expensive especially with a brand new BCM.
You could try disconnecting the battery for a while as this might reset the BCM and fix the problem, computers do strange things, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
tow the car to somewhere safe and then get a good auto elec to look at it, could be bcm or just a fuse or wiring

jamie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
thankyou all, more $$$ to go. what would a new bcm, ecu and keys cost from wreckers be i wonder...ill have to ring around.

much appreciated

jamie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
$150 for bcm, ecu and key from commodore wreckers goldcoast, doable

thanks all

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
thankyou all, more $$$ to go. what would a new bcm, ecu and keys cost from wreckers be i wonder...ill have to ring around.

much appreciated

Best to ring around as prices will vary a lot but you need the same level BCM that you already have, you could get a higher level which would enable you to add things in the future.
As lout said, you might want to get an auto electrician to check it out before spending big money, although I am confident your BCM needs replacing.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
$150 for bcm, ecu and key from commodore wreckers goldcoast, doable

thanks all

That sounds cheap enough providing the BCM is the right level and the ECU came out of the same type of vehicle, not a V8 if yours is a V6.

jamie123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Could potentially be a faulty BCM, mate. Do you have a friend with a car the same? Swap the ECU, BCM and keyheads to get your car home. It will need to be the same BCM and ECU part numbers to work with your car though.

thanks alot mate, this worked. i got bcm and ecu and key from wrecker $150. started 1st pop. cheers