Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT starting issue

Mike Reade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
My V6 VT wont turn over from time to time. I can jump the positive from battery direct to the Starter motor and she'll start no problems. Stop the engine and it will start on the key - sometimes. Any information greatly appreciated.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Check the terminals are tight on the starter, I had the same issue a while back and it turned out the main battery lead at the starter was a tiny bit loose, just enough that sometimes it would start no dramas, other times just nothing. Other than that, starter solenoid and/or the wire to it. On mine the wire insulation had gone very brittle from the heat.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be a dodgy starter relay. Cheap place to start.

Mike Reade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Check the terminals are tight on the starter, I had the same issue a while back and it turned out the main battery lead at the starter was a tiny bit loose, just enough that sometimes it would start no dramas, other times just nothing. Other than that, starter solenoid and/or the wire to it. On mine the wire insulation had gone very brittle from the heat.
Thanks Trev. You got it in 1. Shes puring like a kitten. Thanks mate. Mike