Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Stereo Install

R

RobbyKelly

Hello,

Just bought myself a 99 VT S Pack.. very happy with it.

Few projects I would like to get underway... tell me if its impossible

I'm looking at purchasing a VX Steering Wheel (the one with the stereo controls on it) and putting it into the VT. From there I will install a new deck & Speakers followed by installing a Cat-16 (I think thats what they are called) which allows me to wire the VX Steering Wheel buttons into any deck that has a remote control.

I've rang a few wreckers and am wondering if anyone knows of a place to get a VX steering while and roughly how much they would cost.

The price of the Cat-16 is around $250 installed and the deck / speakers is obviously dependant on what I choose.

I'm looking to do the whole thing for under $1000.

Anyway, great to finally have a commodore again! and hope to chat more often guys and gals! :)

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Ebay is probably your best bet for the wheel and controls even if you have to purchase them seperatly. Or even advertise a wanted ad on here for the gear. I think you will also need a clockspring suited for the controls on the wheel also as they are not fitted already in the wiring on VT's

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i remember ready on one of the threads that the radio controls on the steering wheel were not possible on the vt because of the wiring loom difference. the thread doesnt come to my head at the moment

R

RobbyKelly

Damn, you serious!!!!

I hope thats not the case, can anyone give me a definite answer!

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
No Deano I have fitted the steering wheel controls to my VT, but it did take a little bit of thinking to work it all out. You definatly need a new clockspring as you cant get away with the standard unit but everything alse you can use OK.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
ScottB_33 said:
No Deano I have fitted the steering wheel controls to my VT, but it did take a little bit of thinking to work it all out. You definatly need a new clockspring as you cant get away with the standard unit but everything alse you can use OK.
Vt calais has the controls
Cuckoo