Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stereo removal and after install

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE 50th ANNIVERSARY
Hi
im going to replace the eurovox single cd player in the car with a pioneer head unit.
what id like to know is what i have to do really
i have a manual
but like
do i need the stereo removal tool?
it dosent say anythin about screws as well
like im sure the head unit just dosent sit in the car
cause according to the manual i put in the tool n just pull the unit out

aslo i was wondering if its hard to screw the new head unit in and if any modificatisons are needed to the inside of the dash to hold it.
ill buy a pocket to go underneith as well

aaaaaaand one last thing
has anyone used one of them ISO Harnesses?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As far needing a special tool goes, no you don't. Just get a wire coat hanger, cut two pieces about 8-10 long, bend them into a U shape so they fit into the 2 holes either side of the head unit, push them in and they will disengage it and you can pull it out.
A lot depends on your new head unit to say how you will instal it. You will probly need an adapter plug for the electrics to make things easier, rather than cutting wires. That way you can put original unit back in if you sell the car or something. I don't know what an ISO harness is, but it may be what I wrongly referred to as an adaptor plug.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm ok
yeah these ISO harnesses are like so you can plug pretty much straight into the plug that used to go into the old stereo
but i am not positive ill check it out soon

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
the new stereo will come with all the mounting brackets needed and possibly with the harness/addapter already, otherwise most places that sell them will have one to suit.

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
i just cut the wires behind the plug so & left it on the double din headunit when i put a single cd in so that u could use the double din in another car or if i sold the car easy to put back in.just make sure u solder the wire so u have good contact then get some heat shrink to cover the wires:thumbsup: .upgrading to mp3 player next weekend:w00t:

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeap well im just waitin for mine to arrive
its a poineer 6685 ? maybe im not sure the numbers
its like got a blue motorised face
loooks like it should be good engouh for me :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
The old wiring harness wont fit unto ur new head deck as wen u get ur new head deck u will see the new harness is alot more compact if the iso fits in the new deck use it but its not hard 2 put the old harness back in if u do sell the car n want ur head deck out, specially if ur only playin the new deck through ur factory speakers its just a matter of following the colour codes.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I used an ISO wiring harness, just solder the wires from the harness onto the wires from the deck, and plug the harness into the harness inside the car. As far as attaching the deck into the DIN, to screw it in you need to remove a fair bit. Screw inside the center console allows you to slide it right back.. take the dash and gear stick surround out, and remove the two kick panels either side of the center. Lots of screws to remove, and takes awhile if you've never done it before.

I'm unsure of other ways to attach it, but that seemed the most secure way to me.

andrewgrazier

Reaction score
Members Ride
hm ok i think ill just solder on a new connection to the new harness that the new unit has
label everything as well with some stickers n then shove the new unit in.
ive allready replaced the speakers but i havent replaced the speaker wire
i noticed that the rear wires were allright but the front ones didnt look that great
like the copper in it was noticablly more dark on some strands n didnt look too great
for sound quality i might replace when i put the new unit in.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Spyper said:
I used an ISO wiring harness, just solder the wires from the harness onto the wires from the deck, and plug the harness into the harness inside the car. As far as attaching the deck into the DIN, to screw it in you need to remove a fair bit. Screw inside the center console allows you to slide it right back.. take the dash and gear stick surround out, and remove the two kick panels either side of the center. Lots of screws to remove, and takes awhile if you've never done it before.

I'm unsure of other ways to attach it, but that seemed the most secure way to me.

Y screw the new deck in??? i didnt need 2 with my pioneer deck and id say u wouldnt need 2 with this pioneer deck either, as its such a tight fit neways wen u put ur "holder/frame" as its called in wen u slide in ur head deck it pushes 2 outside clips out so it cant come out either way and locks it in place just like ur old eurovox was sittin in there nicely thats y they give u 2 little tools so if ya eva need 2 get it out u use them like u did with the coat hanger???