Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt strut towers cracking advise please

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Has you car had any accidents in the past?

Logz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.7
Not that I have had but I think it has had front damage and repaired so I think that could point towards it aswell really just want to know if it's safe to drive or not

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
It's safe for now, but it really should be looked at sooner then later.

My opinion is, with all the driving and ridiculous roads it ain't going to get any better.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Cheers mate is yours going down firewall aswell?

My crack (shh) goes about half way down the strut tower... don't think it goes towards the firewall but I will have a look and grab a pic tomorrow. Have a good poke at it, if it's just the seam sealer/sound deadner stuff that's cracked you should be ok. Maybe take it to a panel shop for a pro opinion.

Logz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.7
Went to a crash repairs they said since I got a strut brace and have good suspension now shouldn't get any worse and not to worry thank god cheers people

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thats good to hear.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Here's mine for comparison:
It looks like the tower has moved inwards a mm or two... I should invest in a strut brace. Thinking I'll get the adjustable whiteline one and put a bit of outward force on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20130515_121803.jpg
    IMG_20130515_121803.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_20130515_121826.jpg
    IMG_20130515_121826.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 621

Logz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.7
Yours is very similar yeh defiantly get a strut brace will help alot I got told!

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Don't know how long ago you purchased the car but heres something worth trying. If you still have the details of the person you bought it from, call and ask them if its been in a front end accident and wether it was fixed through insurance (get claim number). These days a lot of repairers give lifetime warranty. Call the insurance company and tell them about the damage and its unsafe bla bla.

Again, long shot and i don't know when you purchased the car but worth a try if it was recent and if the previous owner has had the frontend repaired through insurance before.

Before anybody puts in their 2 cents, i've done the above and had the rear quater repaired after purchasing a car (got it cheap!!) Was previously poorly repaired through an insurance company and i had got the insurance claim number whilst purchasing the car.