Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt super6 or vs 5l?

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Hi wasn't real sure where to post as the two cars are in two different sections lol.

Pretty much iv'e got my vs 5l ute on gumtree for swaps and i was interested in a supercharged 6 either a vt vx or vy.

I got offered a supercharged vt last night and im wondering is it worth it? would the super 6 be faster? what are they like fuel wise? is there any common problems with the supercharger that might set me back 100's of dollars?

cheers

vt is a auto if this is any concern and the utes a manual both are stock

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
All supercharged are auto unless you do a manual conversion. Cheap power can be had simply by changing the supercharger pulley and a few adjustments to the memcal. Reckon it would out perform the 5 litre. I have an L67 out of a VT in my VC which I converted to a manual.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Power isn't cheap with either car. VT's are crap. Stock the supercharged 6 Holden had less power then a Ford 6 so they aren't really anything special.

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
I don't plan on going for all out power. But just saying they are crap doesn't really explain why maybe you could elaborate? I understand theyre heavier than a vs but that's about it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Holden fairly much de-tuned the L67 because they couldn't have a V6 make more power than there flagship V8 engine.

Fairly much all V6 engines ecotec and L67 will need to have the intake gaskets done. The OEM gaskets degrade with age and will start weeping coolant into the intake and the crank case.

Comparing stock to stock L67 to 304 V8 the V6 uses almost as much gas and makes almost as much power. As above, the L67 can make some decent power with a few minor upgrades as they are severely under-cooked from the factory.

IMHO the first mod for either engine but particularly the V6 is to change the diff ratio, the factory 3.08 just isn't right for the V6 period. The ecotec/l67 just don't make enough torque to use those gears.

Power isn't cheap with either car. VT's are crap. Stock the supercharged 6 Holden had less power then a Ford 6 so they aren't really anything special.

The Ford straight 6 also made more power than the Holden V8 for many years but put em side by side and the Fords aren't that quick so what is your point? I don't think the OP was interested in a comparison with the Fords anyway.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Never owned an EFI 5L, but had a VL with the carby 8. Had extractors and exhaust plus a reproduction inlet manifold that looked like the factory one but had the Brock two hole inlet and ribbed floor of the inlet chamber. I loved driving it, went well and sounded fantastic.
Also had a VT S with the L67. Had pacemaker headers, VY SV8 cat back and a smaller supercharger pulley to take the boost up around 10psi. It was fun to drive too, but sounded ****, as any V6 does when you try to make it sound like an 8. Wasn't that great on fuel, as others have mentioned. Out of those two I liked the VL more.

If you're set on a super6, I'd try for a VY S or Calais if you can afford that in a swap. That's just me personally as I prefer the interior look.

Ultimately for me I'd like to get into a 6L VZ Calais. The VF with LS3 is just too far out of my budget to even think about it at the moment.

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
I fell in love with the look of the vt/vx so I'm leaning towards them more than the vy but I do still like the look. If fuel consumption is roughly the same I may aswell keep my ute lol but since I've owned a v8 now I should venture out and try the super6 thanks for all the comments especially you immortality pretty sure you've helped me out a few times before :D

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Sorry, that's what I've always called the supercharged V6, or L67 motor.

To the OP, if you're just looking for something different to the Aussie V8, then maybe look at an LS1. Again the fuel economy isn't greatly different to the V6, better than the old V8 and has more power. If you like the VT/VX the most then I'd go for a VX in the V8. They have the LS6 inlet manifold which the VT didn't get (not sure what the one on it is). Apparently the LS6 manifold has better air flow so the motors perform better. In saying that though, the VT SS is my favourite out of the two series for looks. The manifold can be swapped for the VX item too. You can get a VT SS with the Super 6 also, not sure how easy they are to find though.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've owned both - I sold my l67 VX calais last month.

The V8 is simple, easier to work on, parts are cheaper and sounds great. The V8 seems to rev much more freely too; I noticed the l67 was GREAT right off the bottom, but the top end wasn't spectacular - above 4000rpm it didn't feel any faster than an ecotec (car was in top condition too). The 304 doesn't have the same torque as the L67 right off the bottom, but after ~3000rpm it leaves the l67 behind.

My 5L just has the factory HSV options basically. Nothing special about it.

I found the calais boring to drive and it just didn't appeal to me, despite having all the extras - plus I'm a fan of the holden v8's, all of my cars run one.