Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Temperature Spiking

chris852

Reaction score
My 99 VT2 Temp keeps intermittently spiking - it will spike usually for a few seconds than drop back down - it has been doing this for months.

The Water pump went on it and the radiator blew as well ( 3 month old radiator) - I changed the pump, radiator and thermostat, bled the engine and I am still getting this occasional spike, could there be a build-up of pressure in the engine?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
There "may" be a bit of build up in the gunk in the water could be intermittently blockin the thermostat. But i might say you might be also due for a new sensor should be pretty cheap to get from pretty much anywhere

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
On the VT you can get into the diagnostics of the computer and read the temp of the coolant in actual degree celsius. Do that and let us know what temp it spikes to etc and monitor it for a while whilst driving. The temp gauge is only a "gauge" and not a 100% failsafe method to check coolant temp.

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
My wife's' VT V6 was doing exactly the same thing occasionally, and only started doing it after I replaced the water pump and radiator. They can be a bitch to bleed properly, and I suspect ours had a small pocket of air somewhere. No water at the thermostat and it will not open. I just kept bleeding it a little every few days, seems to have stopped.
Was no need for me to check the diagnostic temp (works off a different sensor) I could smell that the motor was actually getting quite hot.