Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Tie Rod Ends

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Hey there guys,

just wanting peoples opinion, now I will be replacing my tie rod ends and rack ends this weekend, I found out that my left tie rod end has a lot of play and drivers size same but not as much, what made me inspect was that when I would turn left in2 my driveway slowly I was hearing a knocking sound and check all components, strusts were ok, lower ball joints all good and bushes fine then checked tie rod end and rack end to find they were the problem, but mainly the left tie rod end, that had a lot of play like I could move it like I was revving a motor bike, when I removed it from the Knuckle it was a **** 2 get off and check rack end and that was just as bad, now when I went 2 put it all back together till I’m ready to replace them, putting the castle nut back on (may have said that name wrong) and it wouldn’t go on at all the correct way at all, I may have fucked it I don’t know, so I just flipped it over and put it on and went on only couple turns as the whole thread that goes down into the ball joint just kept spinning so couldn’t tighten it more till I clamped it and got the nut down so the top of the nut is flush with the top of the threat and majorly tight, now I put the car back on the ground and I can actually rock the wheel as if I’m testing the tie rod end jacked up and when I grab the actual tie rod end parts, u can tell that the nut is not right down and tight but the nut is down as far as it will go as it is tight and 2 remove it when replacing, probably gonna have to cut it with a hax saw just under the nut as it won’t undo as I’m replacing it anyway, now my question is, the actual ball joint part isn’t coming out of the socket, just has a lot of play, I’m replacing tie rod end and boots both sides this weekend, but I have to do it at my sisters place as she has a large garage, do u think it will be ok if I drove the car there like very early hours of the morning when the roads are dead quiet and drive the car extremely slow, yeah it’s like a 15-20 min drive, driving normally but the route I’m going, there is 3 left turns and 1 right turn as it’s just one long straight stretch to hers from mine, should that be ok as it’s one small drive then getting it fixed, tyres are not worn out at all, only thing that made me inspect was the knocking sound, heard it 3 times then checked so it hasn’t been left for months, so should it be ok, as I said, very early hours so dead traffic,
Thoughts please

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, try and make sentences, because that whole post is a big piece of mumbo jumbo.

From what I can tell from your post, you have to hit either side of the stub, where the tie rod goes in, to get the tierod to drop. Why the nut is knackered leads me to think it has been hit or the thread had crap in it when you undid it.

Why not just replace the whole lot at your place....You seem to have started it there, so might as well finish it there....Saves driving it with a dodgy patch up...

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Well ur first part of reply I have no idea what to say to that as I could understand it perfectly fine, and I can’t do it at my place due to that the only part of the yard I can do work that is concrete is on a hill so can’t do it there and the rest is all dirt and sand and with all the rain that is at my area and lots more to come, it’s to dangerous to jack up the car and have it on jack stands as it’s way to soft of surface where my sister place has a double garage that the whole car can fit under cover and much more safe to be under, if I had more flat concrete surface
area at home I would be doing it at home, her place is the only other place I can do it and be safe

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well ur first part of reply I have no idea what to say to that as I could understand it perfectly fine, and I can’t do it at my place due to that the only part of the yard I can do work that is concrete is on a hill so can’t do it there and the rest is all dirt and sand and with all the rain that is at my area and lots more to come, it’s to dangerous to jack up the car and have it on jack stands as it’s way to soft of surface where my sister place has a double garage that the whole car can fit under cover and much more safe to be under, if I had more flat concrete surface
area at home I would be doing it at home, her place is the only other place I can do it and be safe

Here you go again...Sentences...Do you know how to construct sentences? Constructing sentences makes it easy for people to understand....Making it easy to understand means easier to respond to properly.

At my place I have no concrete...I have plenty of dirt and grass...I can still get axle stands under my car and crawl underneath it safely....I am also extra cautious as I have had a car on my face before....The result from that was 6 stitches on the bridge of the nose and 9 underneath the eye....

As for doing it as your place...It seems plain from what I understand from what you have wrote, you have already done some at your place, hence the original post and how you came about stuffing things up to begin with...

Also doing it at your place saves the problem of the tie rod end dropping down and you having an accident...It doesn't matter how slow you go, you drop that tie rod end at the most inconvenient time and into a pole/car/person/letter box you go....And they do go at the most inconvenient time....Oh and did I mention, it is extremely difficult to steer a car when it drops?

When you reply, make sentences and paragraphs, like I have done....I got kicked out of kindergarden so if I can do it, you should be able to as well

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Not that I should have to explain myself, as I thought this site was for questions and answers, advice and help not criticism and stuff, but I am autistic and have major disabilities and grammar is one big area of issue for me so I don’t appreciate criticism on how my posts are written, they can be red is the main thing and if u have to re read it to understand, then that’s not my fault, that’s on you but criticising me isn’t helping, simply asked a question with my problem wanting simple answers, not criticism on my grammar or location coz that wasn’t my question
So if ur not gonna give me a straight answer or opinion, don’t reply, it’s that simple ok

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not that I should have to explain myself, as I thought this site was for questions and answers, advice and help not criticism and stuff, but I am autistic and have major disabilities and grammar is one big area of issue for me so I don’t appreciate criticism on how my posts are written, they can be red is the main thing and if u have to re read it to understand, then that’s not my fault, that’s on you but criticising me isn’t helping, simply asked a question with my problem wanting simple answers, not criticism on my grammar or location coz that wasn’t my question
So if ur not gonna give me a straight answer or opinion, don’t reply, it’s that simple ok

Personally I don't care if you have a disability...I have nephews and nieces with Austism.....So you can discount me picking on you for that style of disability buddy...One nephew cracks it bad with a slight change in day to day tasks....ie just having his normal teacher away.....

Answers can't be given if we can't understand your posts...Simples.....Simple sentences is all that is required....Geez, even the mother of these kids I help her when she is making stickers to raise money for Autism....So another thing to show I'm not picking on you for your disability and know how an Autistic person works...

So put your question into sentences and paragraphs and you will get answers.....So that's my straight answers and opinion

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
I see so many posts that are a lot worse than mine and not once do I see people comment back about their post saying things like put in paragraphs or anything, but I have to admit tho coz i am the type of person to admit when someone points something out, you do have a point, put in paragraphs, make it easier to read and stuff like that, and get to the point, my missus is always and forever trying to tell me and help with me it, so admittedly you do have a point

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have to admit that when I see a wall of text, I'm inclined not to read it.
Paragraphs and sentences make it so much easier to read.

Reactions: Lex

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did you remove the split pin before you removed the castellated nut on the tie rod end? If not, then it has broken off and bound up the thread.

Personally I would not drive it as it may pull the ball out of the socket on the tie rod end and you will have no steering. I would try clamping it tighter and try winding the nut on until it's tight.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I see so many posts that are a lot worse than mine and not once do I see people comment back about their post saying things like put in paragraphs or anything, but I have to admit tho coz i am the type of person to admit when someone points something out, you do have a point, put in paragraphs, make it easier to read and stuff like that, and get to the point, my missus is always and forever trying to tell me and help with me it, so admittedly you do have a point

When I read a post that has no sentences or paragraphs I do make a comment...That being said, I don't read every single post so there will be some missed.

As for your issue....Perhaps start from the beginning, using paragraphs and sentences and we will see how we can help you