Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT to VX tail light and garnish conversion

Marnz 09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 S pac
Hi guys,
Im sorry if this question has been asked numerous times, but i couldnt find info i needed on the others. Im also sorry if this post doubles up with my other one but i couldnt seem to find it anywhere...
Anyway. I'm planning on swapping out the old VT lights for a set of Altezza's. My question is however, will they be legal and not void my insurance? Ive seen people say that they dont have reflective capabilities and could cause issues if i were in an accident. Im planning on buying a set of Non Led lights. These should contain reflectors i hope?
Also, due to removing the VT garnish and a majority of the reflectors, will i have to change the rear bar to a VX one with the oval shaped reflectors to keep it legal?

Thanks in advance guys!

P.s These are the tail lights im looking at...
Black Altezza Style Left Right Tail Lights FOR Holden Commodore VT VX Sedan | eBay

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
LED or non LED neither contain reflectors, making them non compliant with ADR's and therefore unroadworthy. If you want it to be classy get a vx calais garnish and vx calais lights, those altezza lights look tacky imho, but at the end of the day its your car and you will make it how you like it.

Marnz 09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 S pac
Hmmmm, I was planning to try and black out the lights on my car legally, but obviously the altezza's dont meet ADR standards. If i were to get hold of some genuine monaro tail lights, its a safe bet that they wont make my car unroadworthy? If the Monaro tail lamps seem to be too costly, i may just get genuine stock VX tail lights, as i dont know of any other legal and darker tail lights

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
If you use the stock VX tail lights , Make sure you get the ones from a Calais or Berlina. These have the reflectors in them so you can keep the VT rear bar .

Marnz 09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 S pac
Righto, i would go down the berlina/calais garnish but im not a huge fan. Would monaro tail lights comply with ADR rules? I might just ask some of the guys at work tomorrow how to go about it. Theyve done their roadworthy courses. Im assuming the insurance companies cant knock back any modifications that are deemed roadworthy?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You can use Calais / Berlina taillights without the garnish

Marnz 09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 S pac
I know, but i was trying to go down the track of darker colour lights, but i doubt holden ever made any smoked out or tinted lights, so im contemplating to not even bother doing the conversion or not.