Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT to VZ?

Luke Fowler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Auto
Hey guys, I was just wondering quickly if I could swap a Vz front subframe into a Vt. I understand that the motor mounts wont line up but from what I can see is that they have the same chassis mounting points.

Just curious as wanting to do something different with my build.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks guys

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It will fit, but which engine are you using?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would be really keen to find out where you heard that, but really doubt it's the case, most RWD Nissans of that era use really similar angled cross members. The only time I've heard about an RB bolting into a Commodore that isn't a VL is when you put a VL k-frame in a VN-VS or VB-VK. The mount itself probably does bolt in (it's a single bolt IIRC), but VT-VZ is a fair bit wider than an R31 so even if the angle was correct I'd bet the spacing is totally off.

LS K-frame:
$_20.jpg
Alloytec K-frame:
s-l1600 (3).jpg
R31 cross member - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE...082980?hash=item42168b81a4:g:iDUAAOSwD39elF~q
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Luke Fowler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Auto
Would be really keen to find out where you heard that, but really doubt it's the case, most RWD Nissans of that era use really similar angled cross members. The only time I've heard about an RB bolting into a Commodore that isn't a VL is when you put a VL k-frame in a VN-VS or VB-VK. The mount itself probably does bolt in (it's a single bolt IIRC), but VT-VZ is a fair bit wider than an R31 so even if the angle was correct I'd bet the spacing is totally off.

LS K-frame:
View attachment 210809
Alloytec K-frame:
View attachment 210812
R31 cross member - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/R31-6cyl-Engine-Mount-NEW-PAIR-suit-Nissan-Skyline/400914117635
View attachment 210813 View attachment 210811 View attachment 210810
It was mainly just a quick idea, that's why I put up this post. It was on a facebook page, a shop is Aus somewhere with a Rb25det Neo in a vz ute. I asked them what was modified and they said it was just a 3.6 front subframe and r31 mounts and it bolted straight in. Thought I'd follow up on it as I'm building my VT as a Track capable street car here in NZ and wanted to do something different. Thanks for your help and everything mate any more info is muchly appreciated

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you can remember which page it was and link it back I'd be keen to read more.

There's also a chance they could have used the R31 engine mounts and just fabricated the brackets that attach the engine to the mount.

Luke Fowler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Auto
If you can remember which page it was and link it back I'd be keen to read more.

There's also a chance they could have used the R31 engine mounts and just fabricated the brackets that attach the engine to the mount.
I think the owner ment they used the R31 engine brackets. Worst comes to worst I'll just get my engineer friend to help me make some custom brackets.