Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt tranny slipping

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
i have a vt 6 auto and the trans is starting to slip in between first and second, i was wondering what your advice is on either changing to manual or will a shift kit and corvette servo fix my problem?? btw it has done 169000 kms. before anyone says sell it and buy a v8 keep in mind i have just spent 2500 on suspension and steering including all urethane bushes throughout the whole car, 1750 on new 19" gts mags and tyres!! so it would suckk to get rid of it now!!

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
its not something simple like being low on trans fluid?

i have thought about converting from an auto to manual

no idea on the cost or how much work is involved,

i would imagine it would be pretty expensive to do even if you did your own labor

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
mine started to slip a while ago, but i had the gearbox serviced for about $120, new filter, gaskets and oil and it got professionally cleaned out and fixed up, runs like a dream. mine has done 156000, its a vx, but i cant see yours needing much more than that?
although, mine used to tow, but the k's point towards maybe the time for it to be looked into.
its worth a shot anyway, it could be the best money you've ever spent :)

i would imagine it would be pretty expensive to do even if you did your own labor
Yes, yes it is.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
forgot to mention that i recently got the car serviced at holden and they did a trans service 'so they say' its not low on oil either, maybe the clutch plates are stuffed

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If 1st to 2nd is slipping, sounds like the band is worn or the 2nd apply servo seal is worn. Could be as simple as a check ball stuc in the seperator plate. Either way an experienced trans shop will sort it with real time diagnostics in no time.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
if i got a shift kit with corvette servo etc would that fix the problem??

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
did it do it before the service?

and explain slip a little more if ya can?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
if i got a shift kit with corvette servo etc would that fix the problem??

Which shift kit did you get? You may as well chuck it in because it's a hardware mod and even if the box is foobar the kit will stay.

This is what happened to me. Box was slipping, chucked a shift kit in it and it didn't save the box. However it did get me a really well fitted out performance 4L60E lol....after the $2700 rebuild that is

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
i havent got a shift kit yet but was thinking about it before this problem come up, i talked to my brother in law who is the head mechanic at local holden dealer about it and he said i may as well get a second hand getrag 5 speed and put in it. i can get one for 2750 including tail shaft, computer, wiring loom and everything else needed for conversion would it be worth it or are the 4l6oe trannys pretty good with a shift kit installed??

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
T5 hands down. As long as you get the flywheel mirror balcnced to the flexplate you should be good