Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT tweeter replacement, use stock splitter?

benny105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
hi, new here.

i have just brought a set of fusion 2 way speakers, and have to replace the stock tweeter in my VT with the fusion one. does the VT already have a splitter that i can just connect the new ones straight to, or should i just run the tweeters separately of the splitter that came with the speakers?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The speaker wires are already split for the tweeter, but when i wire the crossovers i usually mount them in the cavities on either side of the dash (behind where the vents join to the doors). Once youve got these side panels off and the demister panels off (essential to replace the tweeters) its easier to just use the supplied wiring, if all that makes any sense ;)

benny105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
yeah thats sweet, thanks. I just thought if i don't use the supplied wring for the tweeters then the wire going to the speakers in the doors have already been split to a lower frequency, so that could have been a problem.

thanks again

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
AFAIK with the stock system the speaker wire comes out of the head unit, splits into two. One set goes to the tweeter where the is a small capacitor that cuts out the lower frequencies so it only plays the highs, the other set of speaker wiring goes straight to the woofer. So basically the woofer plays all frequencies (high and low).

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Your original question aside,

I would recommend using the after market crossover as apposed to the stock capacitor.

No doubt you will get a nicer sounding tweeter - Although i am not to sure what the stock capacitors response cut outs are!

Like HoldenBoy said, It is easy enough to fit the Crossover as well.

Cheers.
Super6

benny105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
yeah, the stock one with the new tweeters lets in too much low frequencies.
by the way, the fusion 6.5 inch speakers in the door sound crapper than the stock paper cones.
i might just install the tweeter only.