Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 (1999) Water loss

L

luichia

I took my car to a workshop and the mechanic changed two hoses and ran a pressure test. He couldn't see any leak anymore but I still need to top up coolant about 200ml per week. This week I drove on to the ramps because I wanted to change oil and I found there was water leaking from a hole above the fuel tank. I'm not sure if it's normal. Please see the video I filmed from the link. https://youtu.be/GMjICIqgU2Q?t=38s

My another problem is the bolt of the oil pan is strip, I can't change oil. What can I do with that? Will it be extra cost if I take it to mechanic for a service?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.24.04 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 6.24.04 pm.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 159

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Having it serviced by a workshop will always cost more than doing it urself. Depending on how badly rounded the sump bolt is, u have several options.

1. Use a single hex (6 sided socket) on the bolt. Find one in either metric or imperial (whichever is closest to fitting) and tap it on with a hammer.
2. Small set of stillsons (pipe wrench)
3. Chisel and a hammer.
4. Cut a line across the head of it with a hacksaw and use an impact screwdriver with a flat blade attachment.
5. Go to ur local tool shop and buy a set of bolt grips (irwin ones are pretty good - Kincrome and other brands make varying designs).

Go to ur local dealer and buy a new plug before u do ur service...

Onto the water leaking above the fuel tank. Had ur car been washed or in the rain recently? Its definately not engine coolant related all the way back there

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Check under engine, as well as sides and front including water pump.
I had a commodore leaking water around the same area and I traced it along the gearbox and sump to the water pump.
Could also be a welch plug, I had one of them leak at the rear passenger side of a 304

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
That's the drain for the air con if you're leaking coolant then you heater core is leaking

D

devilly

yes oska is 100 % correct :) like your home aircon that leaks the water out the back this is the place it releases moisture.

which means your aircon must be nicely cold :)

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
if the water isn't leaking externally then likely to be leaking internally drawn into the combustion chamber and burnt of .