Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 6 Speed?

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Ok it was either this area of the forum or the V6 mod area - sorry if in wrong place

Ok so I have a 1998 VT V6 Commodore with a 4 speed auto and want to put a manual in it
The reason I'm not just buying a car with manual it cause its a C2R Build No. 36 and don't want to give it up cause its the only one around here

I got quoted for a 5 speed and had a look around but I want to know if its able to have a 6 speed manual in it, I know they are for the V8 only but is it possible for a V6?

Any info would be great. and yeah the ECM is all getting changed over to suit the manual.
Overwise I would stick to the 5 speed manual

Thanks in advance

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
From a quick google search it can be done but you'd need a higher diff ratio for the v6 to be able to turn it in 6th... could end up being a very expensive adventure.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Get on to Mal Wood Mal Wood Automotive - Home he has an off the shelf kit for a V6 conversion. Hope you have a healthy bank account, cause you are going to need it!!

Basic break down of parts required.

1 x T56
1 x Adapter plate to adapt the T56 to the V6.
1 x Flywheel and clutch assembly
1 x Pedal box with clutch master cylinder.
1 x Gearbox cross member.
1 x shortened front tail shaft section
1 x modified exhaust
1 x manual starter motor
1 x manual tunnel floor plate.
1 x manual center console insert.
1 x remapped ECU
1 x modified gear box harness.
1 x 3.7 or 3.45 diff gears.

Hope this helps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Another user is doing a write up on a 6speed ecotec conversion, although he's having trouble with some vibrations that he's sorting out first. If you spend a little bit of time you can probably source most of these parts yourself a lot cheaper than the Mal Wood kit. The only major issue may be the shifter placement.

I think you will need shorter gears then that with a eco V6. Even the T56 LS1 combo with factory 3.46 gears doesn't really suit 6th gear (HSV fitted 3.7 gears on the clubsports and the GTS got 3.9 gears and those engines make a lot more low rpm torque).

I think an ecotec will struggle to push 6th gear @ 100km/h with anything less that a 4.11 diff gears (which would give you approx 1700rpm) if you have a lot of weight in the car and that probably still isn't ideal.

Holden fitted the Getrag box behind the V6 from VS series 2 onwards, the getrag has a 5th gear OD ratio of 0.80:1 so with the standard diff that gives you just over 2000rpm @ 100km/h (T5 is 0.072 5th gear = approx 1850 rpm @ 100km/h).

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Another user is doing a write up on a 6speed ecotec conversion, although he's having trouble with some vibrations that he's sorting out first. If you spend a little bit of time you can probably source most of these parts yourself a lot cheaper than the Mal Wood kit. The only major issue may be the shifter placement.

I think you will need shorter gears then that with a eco V6. Even the T56 LS1 combo with factory 3.46 gears doesn't really suit 6th gear (HSV fitted 3.7 gears on the clubsports and the GTS got 3.9 gears and those engines make a lot more low rpm torque).

I think an ecotec will struggle to push 6th gear @ 100km/h with anything less that a 4.11 diff gears (which would give you approx 1700rpm) if you have a lot of weight in the car and that probably still isn't ideal.

Holden fitted the Getrag box behind the V6 from VS series 2 onwards, the getrag has a 5th gear OD ratio of 0.80:1 so with the standard diff that gives you just over 2000rpm @ 100km/h (T5 is 0.072 5th gear = approx 1850 rpm @ 100km/h).

I would agree, I didn't really word my response the best. I would just grab the adapter from him (about $350.00) and source the rest else where..

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking of doing a 6 speed conversion on the Senator, I wish the Dellow bell housing for the conversion was that cheap.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I'm thinking of doing a 6 speed conversion on the Senator, I wish the Dellow bell housing for the conversion was that cheap.

trouble with the Dellow housing is that if you are going to be chasing some decent power you are stuck using a ecotec flywheel so your clutch setups are a little more limited. The Mal wood one allows you to use the V8 bell housing so you can run a 10.5 inch flywheel, which gives you a better and stronger range of clutch/pressure plate combinations.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine is 304 so it should be fine with the bigger V8 flywheel.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
With my stock ratios (3.45) 6th gear was almost useless. I'd got for 4 11's for the little ecotec. Currently have 3.9's and it only sits on 1500rpm on the fwy.