Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 - Coolant in engine oil?

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
I've been noticing for about 6 months that the coolant disappears and needs topping up. Just recently 1 litre per week.

After the latest top up I noticed the engine oil level is high and has coolant in it.

Is the head gasket the only place it can get in?

A few guys here say they are bullet proof!

No sign of oil in the coolant & no steam from the exhaust.

In fact the car is running perfect.

I am about to rip the heads off, but any advice in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
could be just the inlet gaskets leaking water into the valley too.

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
Just recently changed the oil but it has got a milky look, plus when you take the oil filler cap off there is plenty milky crap in there.

With a leaking valley gasket, how can the coolant get into the oil there?

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
I am trying not to rush this as I cannot afford to blow a grand plus on fixing something that doesn't need fixing.

I just drained the oil - cracked the plug first and no coolant whatsoever came out first.

Do modern coolants seperate from oil when you let them stand for 24 hours?
Tell you the truth the oil didnt look really milky once drained.

Next puzzle I read somewhere the capicity for a VT is 4.9ltrs, so pouring the oil into a 5 litre container I was expecting it to atleast fill it or even overflow.

It didn't, there is still room for more!

I have put about 3 litrs of coolant in the last 3 weeks, so there should have been definitely 5+ litrs coming out, especially with the high level on the dipstick.

Can the dipsticks give a false reading on these?
ie, Is it inserted into a seperate compartment in the sump which could hold extra oil for some reason?

Well, I'm off to get a coolant pressure tester and see what happens with the sump plug off.:bang:

Yikes, just got back, they want $350 for a tester!

Job put on hold till I can borow one!

Just put another litre of coolant in - and that is without running the engine!

Gonna try the sump plug again tommorrow and see if just coolant comes out this time.

...Didn't have to wait that long...the coolant is now passing thru...Heads off tommorrow.

Last edited:

xrsist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
what was the problem in the end?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I am trying not to rush this as I cannot afford to blow a grand plus on fixing something that doesn't need fixing.

I just drained the oil - cracked the plug first and no coolant whatsoever came out first.

Do modern coolants seperate from oil when you let them stand for 24 hours?
Tell you the truth the oil didnt look really milky once drained.

Next puzzle I read somewhere the capicity for a VT is 4.9ltrs, so pouring the oil into a 5 litre container I was expecting it to atleast fill it or even overflow.

It didn't, there is still room for more!

I have put about 3 litrs of coolant in the last 3 weeks, so there should have been definitely 5+ litrs coming out, especially with the high level on the dipstick.

Can the dipsticks give a false reading on these?
ie, Is it inserted into a seperate compartment in the sump which could hold extra oil for some reason?

Well, I'm off to get a coolant pressure tester and see what happens with the sump plug off.:bang:

Yikes, just got back, they want $350 for a tester!

Job put on hold till I can borow one!

Just put another litre of coolant in - and that is without running the engine!

Gonna try the sump plug again tommorrow and see if just coolant comes out this time.

...Didn't have to wait that long...the coolant is now passing thru...Heads off tommorrow.

Mechanics usually pressure test the coolant system for free.........could still only the the valley manifold gaskets......you will see as you remove the lower manifold off the heads.

Nothing is bullet proof. I have heard it many times, they are excellent head gasket on these, put the same Holden ones back (kevlar or graphite i think).

But if the car overheats, of other pressures, no gasket can stop it.....cracked heads, warped heads etc. How long has it been like this now ? It would be worth testing the oil in a few thousand to see what bearing wear is like............

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
Been delayed this week due to commitments and back & to the shop for correct size spanners etc. Why do they mix metric with a/f?

Anyway, the rocker covers were full of a yoghurt mess, non on the actual rockers though?

At the moment I only have the intake off.

I noticed the gasket wasn't in great condition at certain points.

One major clue however could be that there was green coolant lying around the valley.

Does that mean it got to be the valley gasket/
If the problem was elsewhere it would have emulsified completely wouldn't it?

004.jpg

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the coolant could be from when you removed it but ide just bolt the inlet back on with new gaskets and run it for a few days and see if it fixes it doesnt look too flash round the water jackets probably was the problem right there.saves doing the head gaskets for no reason

vtbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt 3.8
Well, a couple of weeks later and all is fine.
No further loss of coolant & engine oil not rising.

Glad I didn't rip the heads off. :)